Handicapped chopping

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a time figuring out how to chop veggies with a big wad of stuff wrapped around the middle finger of my guiding hand. I get cramps in my hand from trying to keep the cotton out of the carrots!

Athletic tape for some compression and a finger cot.

To keep bandages under control:
Wear a glove.

As far as technique, these times are GREAT for your technique. It's like running with weights or swimming with your arms tied together. It makes you better.

vinceoffer-slapchop.jpg

The problem is that a quarter inch swath of skin is gone and some meat as well, so the dressing is rather bulky. Surgical gloves won't fit over it, and utility gloves are bulky. I don't have a Slap Chop, unfortunately(?). My friend suggested a mandolin, butt where is the fun in that? I think I'll add some finger cots to my current Amazon order, with my track record I will be needing then at some point in the future as well!

What about a finger stall made of rubber or latex, that's what I use when I got injuries on the fingers. I like them better than surgical gloves, no water running in at the wrist and you compromise your tactile sense only on the respective finger instaed of the entire hand.

EDIT:
Sorry, I didn't know that finger cot and finger stall are the same.

Cut left handed (assuming you're right handed). Just don't cut yourself 'cause then you'll really be screwed. ;)

Cut the thumb off of a surgical glove. It should be big enough to go over your middle finger even with some gauze on top of the wound. Then tape the cut end to your finger to keep water getting in.

This one is most likely to succeed, I think!

I get cut more than a mandolin than anything else. We had two and there was a cut at least every other week. I finally tossed them. They are sharp and get the job done quickly, but in my experiance always lead to more injuries.

I need to brush up on slap chop skills .
I wonder if Vince sharpens his own slap chop.

A big shot celebrity like him just gets a new one every few days!

I get cut more than a mandolin than anything else. We had two and there was a cut at least every other week. I finally tossed them. They are sharp and get the job done quickly, but in my experiance always lead to more injuries.
Wife bought me a very good one of Xmas one year. Thanked her for the thought and returned it to Williams-Sonoma without taking it out of the box. It never made any sense to me to make the blade stationary and push the food toward it with your hand.

At work, I use a mandolin all the time! I make everyone wear a cut-proof glove with a rubber glove over it when using it, even if they use the guard.

It makes very short, consistent work of a huge amount of food. Yes, I could cut 70 lbs of potatoes into 1/8 slices with a knife, but why would I?

I love my mandolin i have 5 or six use the heel of your hand to push through. and Dave has sharpen the blade or if you go for japanese mandolin they have replacement blades and just go to the nub of what your cutting.

At work, I use a mandolin all the time! I make everyone wear a cut-proof glove with a rubber glove over it when using it, even if they use the guard.

It makes very short, consistent work of a huge amount of food. Yes, I could cut 70 lbs of potatoes into 1/8 slices with a knife, but why would I?
So you serve food with little bits of rubber glove in it? :lol2:

Hockey tape, its waterproof, will stop bleeding, and wont come off

Latest posts

Back