Quantcast
what steels and why - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: what steels and why

Engorged Member
    I think the mystery carbon should be called Super Judd.

Pesky

Good stuff Devin.

I might have to help myself (with your permission) to some of the information that I would like to paraphrase and put on my site.

Happy to hear 52100 scored high on your tests.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Super Judd? Uh... Right.

Another thing to keep in mind is the overall ratings are not particularly useful. It's probably a lot more useful to pick a steel based on the purpose. For example, DT-super is likely going to be a better steel than 52100 for making a barbecue slicer out of but 52100 is maybe better for a typical gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Super Judd? Uh... Right.

Another thing to keep in mind is the overall ratings are not particularly useful. It's probably a lot more useful to pick a steel based on the purpose. For example, DT-super is likely going to be a better steel than 52100 for making a barbecue slicer out of but 52100 is maybe better for a typical gyuto.
    So what you are saying is...for any application Devin has a steel and heat treat to meet those needs? What a bad bad man.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    So what you are saying is...for any application Devin has a steel and heat treat to meet those needs? What a bad bad man.
    I'm just saying there are some options here and just because 52100 scores the highest overall, it doesn't mean the other steels aren't worth making knives out of. I don't know if there would be an advantage one way or another but it may be worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Exactly. This is the mistake of many knifemakers. When they have a favorite steel, they think it should be great in any knife they'd like to make.

Devin,
    Love this thread, although a lot to digest. Question, in your opinion which carbon steel common in the market place makes the best all around affordable laser gyuto blade either wa or western hadeled.
    Vman

Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Devin,
    Love this thread, although a lot to digest. Question, in your opinion which carbon steel common in the market place makes the best all around affordable laser gyuto blade either wa or western hadeled.
    Vman
    What is your definition of affordable? Usually means a factory knife, and if you are looking for carbon, that means from Japan. And basically all the affordable carbon lasers from Japan are White #2. The Zwilling Bob Kramer line is made of 52100 and those run about $350 for the 10" chef's knife. Takedas are thin and made of Blue Super. Most of the other steels talked about in this thread are used by custom makers.

I don't think "affordable laser gyuto" really fits into the steel discussion. That's just a half-step away from a knife recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    I don't think "affordable laser gyuto" really fits into the steel discussion. That's just a half-step away from a knife recommendation.
    Indeed. Vman, a better place to ask the question and get some recommendations would be in it's own thread in the General>Kitchen Knife section. Plus we won't derail Devin's thread that way.

+ Reply to Thread