Quantcast
what steels and why - Page 17
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: what steels and why

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    This is an awesome thread! So much knowledge!

Devin just curious at this point in time which stainless and which carbon would you choose as the best all around guyto steels?
    That all depends on the "Market".....Is the knife for a knifenut with 15 water stones......Or a budding foodie who has never sharpen a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    That all depends on the "Market".....Is the knife for a knifenut with 15 water stones......Or a budding foodie who has never sharpen a blade.
    I agree, but still characteristics of the steel are still important. Like edge retention. Toughness, sharpen ability, and level of sharpness achievable.

I'd be looking for a steel that was excellent in all categories.

Also Devon just curious it shows cpm154 as low edge retention but I personally have gotten 1 full month in a pro kitchen with it.. Is this because it's rated around other great steels that it's scored lower? Or did I get an extradionary knife haha

We scored it 7.5 out of 10. It scored higher than other stainless steels. There are many stainless steels that are more wear resistant, but that comes at a price. Higher cost, more difficult to work and heat treat, more difficult to sharpen, more prone to chipping, etc. S30-V, S35-V, M390, S90-V, S110-V, S125-V, ELMAX, SG-2, BG-42, 20 CV, are a few that I can think of.

With an excellent heat treatment, CPM 154 is a very good steel to make kitchen knives out of. I am not surprised that it exceeded you expectations. A good steel with a great heat treatment is way better than a great steel with a poor heat treatment.

Hoss

what steels and why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder about the martensitic transformationdifference in % with and without cryotreatment on AEB-L?
    Would it make any difference to put the steel in the freezer -20celcius compared to roomtemperatur?

I don't know what the percentage difference would be.
    It's best to use a lower austenitizing temperature when a sub-zero quench is not possible. The higher the quench temperature and the longer the soak at temperature, the more retained austenite.

With higher alloy steels the martensite starts to form at around +400'f and finishes at around -60/-90'f. The closer you get to the finish temperature the less retained austenite that you will have.

Hoss

I read on a thread recently that AEB-L has more retained austenite than other steels. That is false.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    I don't know what the percentage difference would be.
    It's best to use a lower austenitizing temperature when a sub-zero quench is not possible. The higher the quench temperature and the longer the soak at temperature, the more retained austenite.

With higher alloy steels the martensite starts to form at around +400'f and finishes at around -60/-90'f. The closer you get to the finish temperature the less retained austenite that you will have.

Hoss
    so it will be a small difference but most likely noticeable i guess then?
    Thank you for your information!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    I read on a thread recently that AEB-L has more retained austenite than other steels. That is false.
    Larrin:i guess it is more evenly distributed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabaki View Post
    Larrin:i guess it is more evenly distributed?
    Not that I know of. That's not the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Not that I know of. That's not the point I was trying to make.
    Think i know what and how you mean, i'm struggling a bit with my english translation

+ Reply to Thread