Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: what steels and why

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    How did you decide to work hardness into the equation?
    Essentially hardness is included in every category, stain resistance being to a lesser extent. The ratings are based on the properties in what we think is the optimal hardness for the steel when used in kitchen knives. Certainly all of them would have higher toughness scores if they were all at 30-40 Rc.

Something that comes to mind is that I wonder how steels like white, blue, & AS would rate if worked by you guys versus you using these steels as found in Japanese knives?

I wonder this because AEB-L & 52100 rate high as you work them whereas some makers/manufacturers may not fair as well with these steels and could produce inferior results. An example of what I mean is that many people have used AEB-L knives from Japan and report poor edge retention yet so many people use your knives in AEB-L and report great edge retention.

What are your thoughts on this?

We have found that with careful forging and heat treating you can make a steel perform a lot better. Heat treating is more difficult than most people think, and takes a lot of practice to get good at it.

Hoss

What's your guys opinion on 12c27?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Something that comes to mind is that I wonder how steels like white, blue, & AS would rate if worked by you guys versus you using these steels as found in Japanese knives?

I wonder this because AEB-L & 52100 rate high as you work them whereas some makers/manufacturers may not fair as well with these steels and could produce inferior results. An example of what I mean is that many people have used AEB-L knives from Japan and report poor edge retention yet so many people use your knives in AEB-L and report great edge retention.

What are your thoughts on this?
    One easy example is that those AEB-L knives are usually 60 Rc at best, most are 58 or below. For people used to 61+ Rc it's just not going to perform as well. You'll notice we gave AEB-L only a 6 for edge holding, this is primarily a rating of wear resistance as you can see from the definition given earlier in the thread. Edge stability, however, is given a 10. People that use/sharpen their knives to favor edge stability will find the maximum edge holding with their AEB-L knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post
    What's your guys opinion on 12c27?
    12C27 is very similar to AEB-L. 12C27 has lower maximum hardness and wear resistance with a little better stain resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    12C27 is very similar to AEB-L. 12C27 has lower maximum hardness and wear resistance with a little better stain resistance.
    Yeah, i should clarify: How is your personal feelings about 12c27?

I've heard the AEB-L comparision before. 12c27 is quite a common steel here, cheap and nice. I can get a filet-knife (and i am getting one.. after an unpleasant experiance when i forgot my other filet-knife at home and had to use the schools. It's great to filet flat-fish with what feels like a butter-knife. Took hella time.)

30-40 bucks for a good 12c27 filet-knife is a steal imo.

I've heard the AEB-L comparision before. 12c27 is quite a common steel here, cheap and nice. I can get a filet-knife (and i am getting one.. after an unpleasant experiance when i forgot my other filet-knife at home and had to use the schools. It's great to filet flat-fish with what feels like a butter-knife. Took hella time.)

We like AEB-L a lot, 12C27 is very similar, so we like 12C27 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Essentially hardness is included in every category, stain resistance being to a lesser extent. The ratings are based on the properties in what we think is the optimal hardness for the steel when used in kitchen knives. Certainly all of them would have higher toughness scores if they were all at 30-40 Rc.
    Would it be too much to ask to put the hardness at which each steel was tested on the charts?

Why use 12c27 if AEB-L is going to hold it's edge a lot longer? It just has less carbon, right? AEB-L is already on low side of carbon content for knives.