Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: what steels and why

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Why use 12c27 is AEB-L is going to hold it's edge a lot longer? It just has less carbon, right? AEB-L is already on low side of carbon content for knives.
    I kinda just wanted to hear what their experiances with it was. Just out of pure interest as it's a common steel here in Sweden.

I bought some 12c27 about 15 years ago or so. I made some kitchen knives out of it that were very thin. It sharpened nice and cut well. I think that AEB-L is a little better.

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Would it be too much to ask to put the hardness at which each steel was tested on the charts?
    Most every thing that we have made is in the 62 to 63hrc range. Some knives from other makers have been harder and some softer. We tried to rate steels that we have had sufficient experiance with, wether we made them or from other sources.

Hoss

Is the spicy carbon steel that you used recently the same as the mystery carbon steel, or are they different steels?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Mystery carbon is an oil hardening steel and the spicy white is a water hardening steel. They are in a different class.

Good question Michael, thanks.

Hoss

Haha. I think we need something shorter to call all these mystery steels, kinda like what Henckels does. They should be dt-spicy, dt-carbon, dt-pm and dt-super or something of that nature.

It's true we do need better names.

Thanks Devin.

I'm assuming that since the spicy white is not listed, it does not rank high in your analysis.

+1 to tk's recommendation. For your mystery steels, a "DT" prefix would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Mystery carbon is an oil hardening steel and the spicy white is a water hardening steel. They are in a different class.

Good question Michael, thanks.

Hoss
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    +1 to tk's recommendation. For your mystery steels, a "DT" prefix would be a good thing.
    +2

Nice and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Thanks Devin.

I'm assuming that since the spicy white is not listed, it does not rank high in your analysis.

Spicy white is slightly better than white but would rank the same.

Hoss