Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: what steels and why

Awesome stuff guys!!! I had no idea you could make powdered steel into damascus, Learn something new everyday. Thanks Devin for leading us into unfamiliar territory

Devin, I can't find any information about your PM stainless. could you compare( Edge holding, Toughness, Edge stability, Sharpenability) between S35VN & DT PM stainless. thanks!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Devin, I can't find any information about your PM stainless. could you compare( Edge holding, Toughness, Edge stability, Sharpenability) between S35VN & DT PM stainless. thanks!!
    who's heat treating the s35vn? need to factor that in too. different heat treatments result in different numbers.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I have used both and imo can say in edge holding, toughness, and stability,the DT pm stainless wins. On sharpenability they are very similar.

DT will do the heat treatment for s35vn & PM stainless..
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    who's heat treating the s35vn? need to factor that in too. different heat treatments result in different numbers.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Rating some stainless steels.

Steel type Edge holding Toughness Edge stability Sharpenability Stain resistance Overall rating
    AEB-L...........6.................4..............10... .............10..................8................ .....7.6
    Stainless PM.8..................4..............7.5.......... .....8...................8.5...................7.2
    CPM 154.......7.5...............3..............6.5.... ...........7...................8.................. ....6.4
    440-C...........7.5...............2..............4.5.. .............7...................8.5.............. .....5.9
    VG-10..........6..................3..............6... ...............7...................8.5............ .......6.1
    19C27..........6.5...............3.5............6. 5...............7...................7.5........... ........6.2

Some categeries may not be equaly important making the overall rating inaccurate. These numbers are based on our experiance in use and from charts from other researchers. I ran these steels by Larrin and averaged the numbers between us. Others may come up with slightly different numbers, but we feel that these should be close.

More to come.

Hoss
    This thread is awesome! you make stunning damascus patterns Devin
    How would you rate 15n20 as a single steel?

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Rating some carbon steels and tool steels

Steel type Edge holding Toughness Edge stabililty Sharpenability Stain resistance Overall rating
    mystery
    carbon.......8................4..............8.5.. ...............8...................1.............. .......5.9
    super wear
    resistant....10..............3..............7..... ...............6...................5.............. .......6.2
    white.........5...............3..............8.5.. ................9...................1............. ........5.3
    blue super..8...............2..............5........... ..........7.5................2.................... .4.9
    O-1...........6...............3.5............8...... ..............8.5.................1.5............. .....5.5
    52100........7..............4.5.............9..... ...............9...................2.............. .......6.3

Hoss
    Tried to edit but... the 15n20 question should be in this category of course

15N20 has good toughness but not very good edge holding compared to other cutlery steels. Toughness=5, edge holding=3.5, edge stability=9, sharpen-ability=9, stain-resistance=2, overall= 5.7

thank you for your answer!

Think i have read somewhere that 15n20 has a 0.11% Cromium content to it, i dont think so but is there?

Is there any difference between 52100 and UHB20c15? if so, do you have a rating as well?

thanks in advance!