Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: what steels and why

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Devin, can you name reference points for some of the categories? For example, it seems you have rated AEB-L as a 10 out of 10 for edge stability with others trailing so it is easy to see what the standard for comparison is. But for toughness it appears that all perform poorly? What is a knife material you would rate as a 10 to put these numbers in perspective? Same for edge holding? Or am I misunderstanding your rating system?

Thanks,

-AJ
    Steels with a 10 rating in toughness would be ones with low hardness like austenitic stainless steels. Tool steels with high toughness would be like S-2 at an 8 and L-6 at a 6. Most tough tool steels have lower carbon levels along with low hardenability.

Edge holding is based on wear resistance. Steels like M-4 are a 9, most knife steels correctly heat treated rate at least a 5. Some of it is based on usable hardness.

Hoss

I have to say the pm and the mystery carbon are pretty nice to sharpen. I didn't think they were much different than 52100, to be honest. I think 440-C is too high, as well. That should be a 6.

Some of the numbers are theoretical and will be different in practice depending on skill level, equipment etc.

Thanks

Hoss

Amazing thread guys. It feels like talking knives with Devin and Larrin over a plate of hotdish.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Thanks AJ for fixing my graphs

Hoss

It is nice that my next two knives are 52100

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Thanks AJ for fixing my graphs

Hoss
    No problem, happy to help.

-AJ

It's fun and difficult coming up with the numbers. I've seen similar attempts on bladeforums and Blade Magazine and I always disagreed with the numbers. They're usually by knifemakers who don't know much about steel. At least when I disagree with my own numbers it's not off by 5 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    It's fun and difficult coming up with the numbers. I've seen similar attempts on bladeforums and Blade Magazine and I always disagreed with the numbers. They're usually by knifemakers who don't know much about steel. At least when I disagree with my own numbers it's not off by 5 points.
    I really like these ratings and I like the fact that stainless is separate, since the stain resistance gives stainless steels such a big edge (It looks like 440C is "better" than most carbon steels.).