Quantcast
what steels and why - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: what steels and why

I was really surprised to see how low white and blue super ended up being.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Really? Because of their mythological status? I mean they are really simple steels, nothing out of the ordinary on paper at least.

-AJ

Here are the rankings without stain resistance being factored in:
    AEB-L 7.5
    52100 7.375
    mystery carbon 7.125
    mystery stainless PM 6.875
    super wear resistant 6.5
    O1 6.5
    white 6.375
    CPM-154 6
    19C27 5.875
    blue super 5.625
    VG-10 5.5
    440C 5.25

I wasn't too surprised about the white (white 1? if it's white 2 I'd also be surprised since it seems to be tougher and edges more stable) but I did think the wear resistance was higher than I expected on blue super and the sharpenability, edge stability and toughness were lower.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Really? Because of their mythological status? I mean they are really simple steels, nothing out of the ordinary on paper at least.

-AJ
    I just thought they would have more balance using the pre-determined rating system. I guess it's a good sign that bias is being limited if you're surprised where things end up.

Here are the rankings without stain resistance being factored in:
    AEB-L 7.5
    52100 7.375
    mystery carbon 7.125
    mystery stainless PM 6.875
    super wear resistant 6.5
    O1 6.5
    white 6.375
    CPM-154 6
    19C27 5.875
    blue super 5.625
    VG-10 5.5
    440C 5.25
    That looks like a list we could almost universally agree on, based on experience. I think the pm stainless should be higher though. It sharpens almost like AEB-L but holds a nicer edge longer, at least the way I sharpen and use the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I wasn't too surprised about the white (white 1? if it's white 2 I'd also be surprised since it seems to be tougher and edges more stable) but I did think the wear resistance was higher than I expected on blue super and the sharpenability, edge stability and toughness were lower.
    It is White #1. Blue Super is one we discussed pretty extensively. It is fairly highly rated by people on the forums but we've never observed any of those touted characteristics in knives we own so that's where its ratings ended up. We tried not to rate things according to hearsay on the forums but tried to stick with our own experience, other's comparative research, and manufacturer's own published information.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    That looks like a list we could almost universally agree on, based on experience. I think the pm stainless should be higher though. It sharpens almost like AEB-L but holds a nicer edge longer, at least the way I sharpen and use the knife.
    With more experience those numbers could change. With the mystery steels some of the numbers are conservative because the feedback has been limited to only a few people and we don't want to get over-excited.

It is White #1. Blue Super is one we discussed pretty extensively. It is fairly highly rated by people on the forums but we've never observed any of those touted characteristics in knives we own so that's where its ratings ended up. We tried not to rate things according to hearsay on the forums but tried to stick with our own experience, other's comparative research, and manufacturer's own published information.
    How did you decide to work hardness into the equation?

...With the mystery steels some of the numbers are conservative because the feedback has been limited to only a few people and we don't want to get over-excited.
    Yeah, it took me a long time to openly jump on the pm stainless bandwagon. I expected to like AEB-L better just based on ultimate sharpness potential.

+ Reply to Thread