Quantcast
Tips and Advice Needed: How to Package Knives for Shipping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips and Advice Needed: How to Package Knives for Shipping

Tips and Advice Needed: How to Package Knives for Shipping

Can those of you who have shipped knives through the mail offer any tips/advice for how best to package them safely/securely?

I am planning on sending a knife or two out and there will be a return trip involved, so would like to make sure they get there in one piece and are easy (enough) to return the same way.

I tried to search for a thread like this here (I feel like I have seen one), but came up empty.

Thanks!

-Johnny

I often tape my blades (not the handle) to a piece of wood and then wrap it however you like. The tip is really the only thing that ever gets damaged, in my experience and this is the best simple and inexpensive way to protect it, as far as I know.

That sounds like a good idea, thanks TK.

Just to be clear, you select a piece of wood that is just longer and wider than the blade of the knife being shipped, not one that runs the full length of the knife, right?

And then you just put it in a sturdy box filled with newspaper?

Yup. If you don't want your handle to get grubby from the newspaper, you might want to wrap that with something else. Sometimes the ink, dust, etc from the newspaper transfers. It can be noticeable on lighter colored handles, esp.

Genius.

Thanks TK.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Genius.

Thanks TK.
    No problem. I can't take credit for the idea though. I know there are others that use the same method probably longer that I have. Cheers.

I just had the Catcheside passaround, and it was wrapped in newspaper in a shipping tube. It worked well and was nicely compact.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

The best one that I had shipped had several layers of cardboard on each side of the blade with tape holding it together (not touching the knife) and then bubble wrapped around the whole knife and then had another layer of cardboard around the whole knife and then surrounded that in newspaper in a larger box.

I wrap the blade in newspaper and bubble wrap and put a good sized piece of styrofoam on the tip. Using a tube with newspaper stuffing is what I prefer for the final wrap but you could also do a box with newspaper filling.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    I stick a wine cork on the tip and then wrap it as I would any fragile item.