Mashed potatoes without milk/cream?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
My stupid roommate is allergic to dairy (not just lactose intolerant) so I'm looking for a good mashed potatoes recipe that doesn't use milk or cream. He can eat butter, but he can't touch milk or cream. I did googling and I see suggestions ranging from soy milk to water to chicken stock. Is there a good milk free way to do it or should I just stick with baked or roasted potatoes?

One of my favorites is to add some nice olive oil, a bit of lemon juice, and some sage, thin with a touch of stock/broth if necessary (but that just means you didn't use enough oil ;) ). I leave it a little lumpy, more like lightly smashed potatoes. Great with fish or chicken.

Stefan

Stefan pretty much covered a couple good options.

Olive oil (plus some fresh herbs) is great, but leave the potatoes a more smashed then mashed. And a prep with stock works well with a finer mash (and can supplement with some parmigano or other grated hard cheese).

I never put milk or cream in mine. Just butter and salt and pepper and it tastes great. Why make it more complicated than you need to?

I never put milk or cream in mine. Just butter and salt and pepper and it tastes great. Why make it more complicated than you need to?

If the roommate is allergic to dairy butter won't do.
Olive oil works, but really nothing is as good as butter + cream.

There are those who feel that mashed potatoes without milk or cream aren't worth any bother at all. Use the potatoes for something else. ;-)

If the roommate is allergic to dairy butter won't do.
Olive oil works, but really nothing is as good as butter + cream.

Actually, butter is fine, but milk and and most cheeses are not. I guess it's some bacteria that is present in milk that he is allergic too but butter isn't an issue.

Actually, butter is fine, but milk and and most cheeses are not. I guess it's some bacteria that is present in milk that he is allergic too but butter isn't an issue.

Oops, should've read your OP more carefully. Lucky for him that he can have butter.

I have not tried it with potatoes but I have had some success in replacing dairy with soy yogurt.

-AJ

Or find a new roommate. ;)

haha

When he goes out of town or if we just know he won't be eating dinner with us that night, my other roommate and I always go crazy with cheese dishes-- mac & cheese, nachos, etc. Basically just junk food that we wouldn't normally make when he is home.

Nope!

I may just stick with baked potatoes.

Well, if YOU like mashed potatoes a lot, there's no reason why you can't take a large baked potato and mash it with butter, milk/cream and let your roommate eat it baked....and deal with his own deprivation. ;-) I only suggest this as I couldn't LIVE without mashed potatoes. <g>

Crushed yukon gold potatoes.

Start with the yukon gold potatoes skin on, some whole shallots a few thyme sprigs, salt and pepper in a pot with cold water.

Turn the heat on high and bring up to a boil. Once it starts to boil, turn it off and let the potatoes sit in the hot water till done. Strain, then cool.

Now I take the potatoes and push them through a cross wire rack like this...
51-36YQZ0YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now to reheat, put some extra virgin olive oil in a pot, cast iron if you have it, the crushed potatoes, and season with kosher salt and fresh white pepper. Turn it up and heat thoroughly. It's nice when you get the crispy caramelized bits on the bottom so don't worry, that's exactly what you want.

Simple, fast, delicious. Enjoy!

I've never had any complaints from friends and family when I was on a health kick and used low sodium chicken stock in place of heavy creme. Chicken stock + Butter + mashed potatoes = very tasty.

Just beat up the potatoes and leave them be. Butter yours on your plate, or scoop roomie's out and finish yours properly(that's what I do. My wife is off eggs, dairy and gluten. It's tough.).

If you can , Mountain King has a variety called King Rustic. They are AMAZINGLY creamy potatoes, if you can find them. They are seasonal or special order or something like that.

Yukon Golds are, for me at least, the ONLY thing for mashed, no matter what your recipe. ;-).

Whatever. I wish we lived close enough for a little contest. ;-)

What would the contest be, who could boil water faster? I hope you don't live in Colorado :)

If you want them done even faster, just don't cool them down. Strain em and press em straight through the grate.

It really is super easy and way faster than mashed potatoes though, you should try it. No peeling, no cutting, just throw it all in a pot and start working on something else.

What would the contest be, who could boil water faster? I hope you don't live in Colorado :)

If you want them done even faster, just don't cool them down. Strain em and press em straight through the grate.

It really is super easy and way faster than mashed potatoes though, you should try it. No peeling, no cutting, just throw it all in a pot and start working on something else.

Nope...Idaho. Except for Yukon Gold, We are too far apart anyhow ThEoRy. I can't imagine the creamy goodness I want in mashed potatoes by pressing them thru a grate, and without some dairy of some kind (butter is a given). And, for the same reason, I would NEVER leave them unpeeled. Shrug

I dont know if this would work for your friend, but Ive used dry coffee creamer, butter salt and pepper for whipped potatoes. Worked great for me, and I think its non dairy creamer!

God Bless
Mike

Well, it's an alternative to whipped potatoes really. The skins mostly get caught by the grate and don't pass through. This is really more of a rustic side dish I suppose. But it's nice for a change of pace without all the heaviness of cream and butter.

Latest posts

Back