Stefan's Selling some maple

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
For the longest time, I only bought small pieces of wood and paid a lot for them, mostly because I didn't have a saw to cut them. Recently, I bought a few boards or blocks of things, and I would like to offer some of the extra pieces to offset my costs a little bit. Starting with some maple today, there will be some redwood lace burl as well as some more maple later (not stabilized, yet).

I bought some curly and some quilted maple that looked really great. But then something really stupid happened: The seller was nice enough to cut if for me, but because of a misunderstanding he cut it the wrong way. This means that on many pieces the figure is stronger on the narrow side than on the face of the blank. But I will make an effort to pick the best pieces for you. Before I cut them all up and take pictures, I just wanted to check if there is any interest at all. This is what they look like, lightly sanded and with a thin coat of shellac to show the patterns, they should be more impressive when sanded higher:

P1030894.JPG P1030898.JPG

First pic shows some lightly spalted pieces with a little curl and some curly pieces, the second one shows some of the quilted pieces. They are not cut apart, i.e. the pieces in the pics are about 11", the final blanks would be 1" x 1 7/8 - 2 1/8" x 5 1/2". They have been stabilized by K&G. I think there are about 40 blanks total (some of which may not be worth bothering and some of which I will keep) and I would pick the best ones out and photograph them if there is any interest. BTW, if you are doing wa handles and can live with a generous 1" 'height' of the wood, the quilted maple is really excellent. Oh, I was thinking $20 for a nice blank + shipping, two or more ship for free, and five blanks will be $80 shipped. Please let me know if it's worth the time presenting them in more detail...

Thanks,

Stefan

P.S. I have no idea where this is best to offer for sale - could this go into the general sale section also because it's not really anything I made? These rules are starting to confuse me...

Attachments

• P1030894.JPG
    P1030894.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 118
o.k., understatement and laziness clearly do not help selling these. I will prepare a few and add more pics. They are all better than the ones selling at AKS for more money... But maybe you all have enough maple already.

Stefan

Back