Quantcast
Wok it up! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wok it up!

I like it. A well used wok is a lot of fun to cook with and that handle looks better than any handle I've ever seen on one.

Omg. A meteorite wok? What is this, a Stephen Chow movie??

P.S. I love Stephen Chow movies.

LOL, You guys are too much..

I did talk to Jr about making a damascus wok and he is down for trying it! And actually after we google searched and realizing that there is no one else making them.. (at least that I could find) That made him want to try it even more!!

I dont know if its his youth or he watched one to many Stephen Chow movies.. But Im gona encourage him and do some research on steels that would be a viable option for these. and to get a game plan together for how he will attempt it.

Anyone who is seriously interested in a damascus wok, Message me.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

I think a damascus wok would be a beautiful thing when brought into the kitchen... but if we treat it like we would carbon steel or cast iron woks, all the lovely patterning is going to be hard to see after a while.

In any case, I think it's a cool challenge to undertake just for the fun of it
    Len

Len, Im trying to decide on what materials would make the best combination for this project. Any suggestions are welcomed.

My gut tells me it doesnt have to be High carbon.. but im not 100% sure what steel would be best. Gona do some research.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

wok wok wok--- sounds like something from Star Wars--- But I want one as well. Cool handle Randy--

Randy, i honestly would use some mild steel and nickel....Or maybe buy stainless in 12x12 sheets in .010 and nickel in the same...Might have to make a campfire to forge it together And forget the press...Time to get hammering :P...maybe takes it to a machine shop and cold slip roll it

Man, I'm really loving this. 'Cause I know it's laying the groundwork for HHH's line of hand-hammered copper pots and pans

Thanks David.. Jr is now obsessed with this crazy idea.. lol

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

You are welcome! It's really great that you and Jr. embrace these challenges. Many of the knife knuts here are already loaded up with blades, and need other ways to spend their $. So why the heck not offer some nice handmade products using all of your metal working knowledge and skill?!? Plus it makes the days more interesting

+ Reply to Thread