Quantcast
No knead bread? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No knead bread?

Cool, lots of great tips and leads, thanks! I hope to get to it this weekend and start playing around.

Stefan

Got some good advice going here. A couple bakers around I see...
    Follow Dons baking advice for the dutch oven.

I will add a few tidbits:

If you proof 80 percent or so before going in the fridge to retard (it will continue to grow as it cools) you can then go straight into the oven when you are ready to bake, in fact I would suggest doing it that way. there's no need to proof the addition couple hours unless you feel it's under proofed.

You can do half whole wheat in your bread no problem (although somewhat less ideal for a no-knead) but you will need to increase your water accordingly from what the recipe calls for. You are very humid so I have no clue what would be right for you, I just know it's a lot less that what I would have to add here in the desert.

What will make your loaf dense is all those adjuncts, not the whole wheat.
    If you don't mind it dense, sub in some rye as well (I like around 5% total flour). It adds a lot of character to your final product.

Read the protein content on the nutritional info label of your flour, you want it to read at least 4g, 5g would be better. And fresher is better, the old AP flour in your cupboard won't make as good of bread as a fresh high protein flour will, regardless of whose blog says it will

I wouldn't keep the dough in the fridge more than about 3 days or so, it will get too sour. You can form a ball and freeze it, then just pull it out and put in the Dutch oven to defrost and rise before baking. On second thought, do that in a mixing bowl unless your Dutch oven is enamel coated (or similar).

There's a learning curve.
    Good luck!
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Well, so far so good. May have given it a moment too long since my apartment manager showed up when I should have watched it, pulled it at 218F. As a good scientist I should have started with a 1:1 replication, but I am not patient enough for that This is the NYT recipe but I replaced 1/3 of the all purpose flower with whole wheat flower and added about a 1/4 cup of extra water. We'll see, waiting for the cool-down. Getting just looking at it, and I don;t even have anything nice in the house to eat it with.

Stefan

Stefan

Sorry, crappy pics but here it is:

I almost hate to say it, but this is very likely the best bread I have had in the 6 years I have now been in the US. The best in the sense that it is the closest to what I know from growing up in Germany. The crust is perfectly crunchy, I should record a sound byte when the Guede knife goes through it. The density is excellent for my taste, I like the somewhat irregular wholes in it also. Taste is very nice, a bit nutty and hearty. A few notes too bitter at some parts of the crust, not burnt but maybe that's the 5 minutes I had it in the oven too long.

So, why on earth are people buying these plastic loafs in the supermarkets? This is definitely fun and I will continue playing with making bread. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement and the great tips.

Stefan

Very nice! I'm gonna have to try that! I was in Germany for 2 1/2 years, and I still miss it, that and good spaetzle!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

That bread looks awesome, Stefan!

and Pierre, if you are going to try bread, you should be able to knock out spaetzle with no problem. It's pretty easy!

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post

If you proof 80 percent or so before going in the fridge to retard (it will continue to grow as it cools) you can then go straight into the oven when you are ready to bake, in fact I would suggest doing it that way. there's no need to proof the addition couple hours unless you feel it's under proofed.
    The proofing prior to and after the fridge is one of the things that I really like to play around with any bread I make. Doing more proofing before the fridge tends to result in a denser loaf with crumb structure consisting of many smaller gas pockets, while doing more proofing after the fridge tends to have the opposite effect. If you don't like your crumb structure try fiddling with your pre and post fridge proof time.

Beautiful! I might have to try some in a dutch oven if it come out that nice!

Fantastic looking bread, Stefan. Glad to hear that it tasted great too.

Home made bread is amazing isn't it? I'm also confused on why people are satisfied with supermarket breads.

Funny, your "crappy pictures" look pretty ideal to me.

I have yet to do a no kneed bread. Is it more trouble to handle than a traditional bread? I would love a good sourdough recipe! That has to be one of my favorites.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

+ Reply to Thread