Problem!...Solution?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a year ago I purchased one of Wildfire Cutlery's Thai Cleavers.After endless tries of sharpening I've come to the conclusion that the steel in this thing just plain STINKS. I like the shape and style.Would anyone know or would any of our knifemaker members be willing to produce a copy of this cleaver with better steel? Thanks...John

Great timing. I was also thinking of adding a Thai cleaver to my collection. I had used a Kiwi for many years, and do miss it. Plus, when I make Thai food, I feel more authentic :)

Forgive my ignorance, but what differentiates a thai cleaver from say a western or chinese cleaver?

I don't have any experience with Wildfire.
I'm curious, does it just not get sharp, or hard to remove the burr, hard on the stones, edge doesn't last?

Glen

It's the knife. They are pieces of I have a set. Bunch of guys here on the board could whip something together for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive my ignorance, but what differentiates a thai cleaver from say a western or chinese cleaver?

This is a pic of the Thai cleaver from Lishinsky's website:

3%20inch%20cleav%20bw.jpg

Thanks Pensacola.

What do you suppose that small curved area at the tip is used for? A knife that big seems like it would make a rocking motion started at the tip ungainly.

@don

Ah now that one is much shorter, with respect to height, than the one that pensacola posted. The curve on that knife makes more sense to me as a facilitator of rock-chopping. The kom-kom seems like a pretty cool blade profile in general. It has the a gyuto-like edge profile with a height in between a cleaver and gyuto, which would make it easier to pick up what was just cut with the knife without having the kind of weird sensation of being too far away from the cutting edge that I sometimes get when using a really tall cleaver.

Latest posts

Back