Thinning clad knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenStefano

Reaction score
One of my co-workers has a Tojiro DP gyuto which he doesn't treat all that well and every so often I sharpen it for him. Because it's been a while and the edge is totally manged, I thought to myself maybe I should try and thin it a little to basically get rid of the old busted up edge and start afresh. However, when I took it to my 1200 Bester, all the bits behind the edge where I try to thin, it seems like the grit from the stone is almost stuck in the soft cladding and it looks really terrible. Anyone any ideas how to fix this? I tried to polish the scratches out and it still looked sorta crap. Should I just keep going and eventually the cladding will get worn away?

I've done that. I never got it to look great from stones. I don't know if I lack the patience or the skill but I ended up refinishing with a belt sander. It took about five minutes.

Wet dry sandpaper with a little oil on it. The cladding on the DP is super soft, and doing this by hand isn't too tough. Just start with a fairly low grit to match the scratches you left on there, and work your way up. I usually stop at about 800.

Wet dry sandpaper with a little oil on it. The cladding on the DP is super soft, and doing this by hand isn't too tough. Just start with a fairly low grit to match the scratches you left on there, and work your way up. I usually stop at about 800.

Do you sand lengthwise (heel to tip) or crosswise (spine to edge)?

Do you sand lengthwise (heel to tip) or crosswise (spine to edge)?

Heel to tip. It helps if you only go from heel to tip, then pick up your sandpaper and go from heel to tip again. Sanding in only one direction makes the scratches easier to polish out in my experience.

Hahaha, it looks like we've all done this to a Tojiro at some point. I just thinned my friends DP gyuto the last time I sharpened it...didn't look horrible, but didn't look great either.

Back in the day I did this to my big ole' Hiromoto just using my DMT XXC and Chosera 600, but I thought it came out a bit more visually appealing as it almost acted/looked like a shinogi line.
2uh9u02.jpg

ae705g.jpg

What about using my Atoma 140? With less slurry perhaps it would look better despite the scratches? My next coarsest stone is a King 800 so it might take a long time to get rid of the scratches but I don't mind

Latest posts

Back