Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Knife(s) Should I Buy? (And stones)

Engorged Member
    Take up Lefty on his offer quick!

I've been thinking we senior dudes need to help out the new guys who are showing an interest in good knives a little bit more readily than we have been. For a while there, we definitely weren't being overly welcome. I had some INCREDIBLY generous makers and members show me the ropes when I first discovered this passion and just this week I was taken aback by one maker in particular. Consider this me, paying it forward.
    What's a few bucks for shipping if it can help someone decide what they really like?
    I'm sure you guys agree with me on this one.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I should ammend the last post, but this will do.
    I have been the benefactor of an extremely generous member as well.
    That's all
    09/06

Scotts,

If I were you I would forgo purchasing a nakiri at this point and spend a little more on one really sweet gyuto.
    As someone else mentioned Knifewear in Calgary is a great place to start looking.
    I purchased my father a 240 Massakage Kato San gyuto for christmas and after handling it I had to have one myself.

If you purchase a good knife made with a good knife steel you should only have to sharpen it a couple times a year.
    10 mins every week would be a little excessive.

Engorged Member
    There isn't a right answer to this one. As to how how long/much should you sharpen you need to figure out if you like sharpening to begin with. if the meditative quality of Sharpening is something you want to not experience then I'd buy something super wear resistant. If you want something crazy Sharp all the time and think sharpening is for you then is go with a white steel blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I've been thinking we senior dudes need to help out the new guys who are showing an interest in good knives a little bit more readily than we have been. For a while there, we definitely weren't being overly welcome. I had some INCREDIBLY generous makers and members show me the ropes when I first discovered this passion and just this week I was taken aback by one maker in particular. Consider this me, paying it forward.
    What's a few bucks for shipping if it can help someone decide what they really like?
    I'm sure you guys agree with me on this one.
    Hey Lefty I think thats a really awesome attitude to have. Being a noob myself, it makes me that much more excited about knives, knowing there are people like you and forums like this to help fledgling knife connoisseurs like me.

Thanks!
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Thanks, edo!
    Well...the offer is about to expire....
    09/06

I will take you up on your offer, thanks Lefty!

Great! I'm glad I can help a bit.
    I'll sharpen it up tomorrow to 6k or ohiro suita with a slight convex so you can play around with it.
    PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow or Tuesday.
    09/06

Nice, glad that worked out