Quantcast
What To Look For In Cutting Board? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What To Look For In Cutting Board?

Thanks for the tips Aphex!

I am only using lite coats, wiping off the excess. I guess I will stop at 2 coats and apply a Board Butter coat tomorrow.

Mine does not say heavy or lite. Got it at the drug store, actually says use as a laxative.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    Hope the board survived the trip in the luggage.
    The board survived the trip with nary a scratch! Oiled,buttered and ready to go.
    Thanks Dave,nice work

I tried with the thicker mineral oil from ikea. Too long to get in. Then I tried the John boos mystery oil wch I found out consists of lower viscosity mineral oil plus tung oil. Found out that tung oil( 100 percent natural) will enhance the depth and luster and color of the wood. In addition it is more hardy than just pure mineral oil. I suppose I went overboard as I use a ratio of 50:50 mineral oil to tung oil. Even the wax.. I added tung oil which I use a tooth tick to stir it in. Also tried on other home furniture. Quite pleased with the results..

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    I tried with the thicker mineral oil from ikea. Too long to get in. Then I tried the John boos mystery oil wch I found out consists of lower viscosity mineral oil plus tung oil. Found out that tung oil( 100 percent natural) will enhance the depth and luster and color of the wood. In addition it is more hardy than just pure mineral oil. I suppose I went overboard as I use a ratio of 50:50 mineral oil to tung oil. Even the wax.. I added tung oil which I use a tooth tick to stir it in. Also tried on other home furniture. Quite pleased with the results..
    Uh Oh, doesn't it say on the BoardSmith FAQ to avoid Tung Oil because it never dries? I actually just bought some Boos oil (for my enh board, waiting til the end of summer to get one of those beautiful BoardSmith's, was planning on Maple but that Cherry look gorgeous), so I'm dissappointed to hear that it has Tung oil in it :-(

David, do you plan on carrying your "conditioner" at any point (the more oil than wax)? Or do you have a particular mineral oil you would recommend that is easy to get?

I suppose David is right too.. there are many ways to skin a cat.. Nope not selling it .. just exploring.. SInce you have Boos oil, I added more tung oil into mine. do ensure that it is 100% tung oil as you want it food safe. btw, i believe that Boos mystery oil has some tung oil added.

hv fun..

maybe a tray that can be attached to the board for scraping scraps of food to just throw in the trash for housewives and such, would be a good idea. I have not seen this around.