Demand for some simple forge finish 100mm Petty in blade only?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there would be a demand for a small batch of blade only, forge finish Petty? I made this one quite recently for a knife maker to handle and had a chance to use the blade to prepare a few dinners and was pretty impressed with performance.
I'm thinking it would be nice to offer something effective and affordable for folks to handle and make their own.
Something like this, in a half ground san mai.
IMGP2124.jpg

This one was requested as a stick tang, but would probably make them for a dowel fitting unless otherwise requested.
It is Hitachi YCS2 which I have now found a nice level of ht and temper for at about 60hrc, its a bit like 01. And I have a bar to use up. There is a thin layer of 15n20 then en9 cladding, which is about 0.55%C. Carbon diffusion seems minimal doing it this way. Plus the sides are not totally "soft"
IMGP2121.jpg

IMGP2123.jpg

Blade is about 95mm long, 25mm high. Spine thickness 2.2mm tapering to 0.8mm half an inch behind the tip. Half ground with a touch of convexity to very thin behind the edge, then a tiny bevel at about 11 degrees per side.
Blades would be totally finished hand rubbed, spine and choil rounded, sharp and ready to handle.
These are pretty efficient to make and they would be about £60 plus postage and paypal fees at a guess depending on the amount of orders.
They would not be stamped with my makers mark, as blade only.
What do you reccon?

Hello Oivind, I reccon £60 a piece plus post and paypal.

Well, I think you should consider stainless for the common man. Normal people seam to not care for their knives.
Put a black horn ferrule and the maple burl on the pic on as a handle. I also think you should brand your smaller knives as well.
Im no fan of long brand names, but thats me. How about a delicate "WS" ?

Anyway. Ill take the one on the pic with the handle on it :)
Ill test your knives till it dies :)

Oivind, the idea would be to provide something utilitarian at a good price in blade only. I will add a Parer/small petty to my branded line up at some point and stainless will be an option shortly. I would think of this as a little side line recession buster to the main line up.
The one in the picture was made to order by another knife maker for a customer. You could always order one and ask Harold to handle it?

The reason for leaving them unbranded is partly because the etch won't work on forge finish but mostly because they would be handled by the owner or a handle maker rather than myself.
So shall I pop you down for one?:D

Cool I'll start a list of interest.

Banjo1071

Well, I think you should consider stainless for the common man. Normal people seam to not care for their knives.
Put a black horn ferrule and the maple burl on the pic on as a handle. I also think you should brand your smaller knives as well.
Im no fan of long brand names, but thats me. How about a delicate "WS" ?

Anyway. Ill take the one on the pic with the handle on it :)
Ill test your knives till it dies :)

You have to install a handle on it, so it isn't really for the "common man" anyway. And most people here prefer or have no problem with carbon knives. We call those "real men". :razz:

Well, Im a lesbian so no offense taken :)
Im also very young! 1f U c4n r33d 7h1s U r33ly n33d 2 g3t l4id

Anyway, I have to many carbon knives laying around, I need stainless. So until Will gets the move to go stainless, Im just hanging around :p

I think this is a great deal/idea. Don't put these totally out the window, but they may sit on the shelf for a bit before they move. But there is definitely a niche for this thing. That is a very cool looking blade.

Not now, got a lot of money tied up, but I can see this making a nice gift in the future.

Thanks Eamon, I was only being cheeky:D But your very kind, if you ever fancy one just give me a shout. This was just an idea really seeing as there are lots of folk who have been sitting on piles of wood, waiting for a little project. If I get a few orders I will do a batch. In the mean time I have a busy february ahead of me by the looks of it, which is all good.:biggrin:

I'd probably pick one of these up in the future too, have a couple of projects to finish first though.

Those are very tempting..............

Cool idea, Will! It might be a nice step for those guys who are taking the next step from collector to hobbyist maker.
I'd be in, but I have some 52100 and AEB-L with my name on it already.
Eamon summed it up nicely. It's a great idea, but I don't think they'll move quickly (they should move, though).

please let me know how to get one

I believe you need to make one or two more posts before you will be able to send/receive private messages. To do so, click on Will's username above and select "private message."

Welcome to the forum. Will makes cool items and I hope you get your petty!

please let me know how to get one
Hello Sir, I'm taking a little break at the moment, I will be back shortly. I would be happy to make you one, drop me an e-mail to [email protected] or fill out an order form on my website. I don't think I will be making a batch of these as I have a joint project on the go to make a more utility priced forge finish knife. Can't have too many projects on the go. You will be seeing some examples soon, i'll keep it under my hat for now. Except to say they will be forged mono steel, in stainless 14c18n and will be handled state side.:D
I'll be back at it in a few days or so and catching up again.:biggrin:

Back