• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Butch Harner cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck239

Reaction score
Putting up my Butch Cleaver. I figure its time to let someone who uses a cleaver enjoy this knife. It's 8 7/8 inches long 3.2 inches high (81.3 mm). It really is a great knife. Has some stains on it (I cleaned off some of the patina a few weeks ago but didn't detail it. $400 shipped

Butch back.jpgButch front.jpg

-Chuck

Oh god. This will match so well with the kiritsuke gyuto that I just got. Someone buy this please!

Oh god. This will match so well with the kiritsuke gyuto that I just got. Someone buy this please!

You said will instead of would, fatal mistake :D

You said will instead of would, fatal mistake :D

Oh crap I'm in trouble!

I'm leaving the computer for the next 8 hours to spend time with people, who won't understand why I'm antsy and scared that this won't get bought!

We'll see what happens when I get back! :)

edit:

oh and the handles would look so sweet together!

Same style and shape just off-setting colours!

GAHHHH

I dont know how much I like the rounded front. Kind of reminds me of a tall nakiri :D Im sure this is a monster!

I dont know how much I like the rounded front. Kind of reminds me of a tall nakiri :D Im sure this is a monster!

i rember what the buyer asked for and it was jsut that (im sure it was to save a bit by not getting a full hight cleaver ) same guy that alway wanted to try something just a bit different :)

How about some more dimensions, weight, thickness etc...

I'm really surprised this is still here... that's an absolute steal at 4 bills. It would prolly cost about twice that to get one new (thats if you could even talk butch into it, lol)

Sorry this has taken so long. I will try to get back to some of the PM's soon.

Weight- 346 grams

Thickness over heel- Spine 2.37; Midway 1.6; 1 CM from edge .78
Thickness Midway- Spine 2.28; Midway 1.21; 1 CM from edge .54
Thickness at tip- Spine 1.84; Midway 1.05

It's an awesome taper and thin behind the edge. Only reason I'm selling it is because I don't use it enough and have a Harner gyuto on the way.

-Chuck

So....Im in the market for a laser-ish cleaver. Ive been really tempted to unload on a Takeda 220mm. I love my Takeda Gyuoto, and a matching knife in the case would be nice. How would you compare this to the Takeda? I kind of like the front end on this knife, looks like it would be useful for a rock and chop. Forgive my newbieness, looking for good insight before I let go of any more moneys.

Well, I know which one I'd throw money at. I won't tell you which one, but it's made by B. Harner...no, no...too obvious. Butch H. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Well, I know which one I'd throw money at. I won't tell you which one, but it's made by B. Harner...no, no...too obvious. Butch H. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Yup! +1

Sorry for the short question. Let me expand. Is this cleaver better in action than the Takeda, or does it outperform, or are they two totally different animals and Ill have to purchase both of them to find that out? Is this a good chopping cleaver that can handle a beating? I understand supporting the small guy over the smaller guy, but I also really like the Takeda for its J handle, and have been trying to step away from western handles.

Sorry for the short question. Let me expand. Is this cleaver better in action than the Takeda, or does it outperform, or are they two totally different animals and Ill have to purchase both of them to find that out? Is this a good chopping cleaver that can handle a beating? I understand supporting the small guy over the smaller guy, but I also really like the Takeda for its J handle, and have been trying to step away from western handles.

Whoa! Neither one is a "chopping" cleaver! You want one of those, go get a Dexter Russell.

my take on a slicing cleaver is a double tall nakiri and full flat ground from edge to spine with only slight convex at the edge also a diffference is that wht center of the blade is mostly flat with only a slight "smile" that turns up at both the heel and the "tip"

so far as handles well i could likly do any think any one wanted to have done shape wise

that said i sure will not be the cheapest c leaver to buy (i have not made one in liek 2 years as they are a PITA )

These are both slicing cleavers, essentially the Asian equivalent of a chef knife. They would never be used for chopping bones or hard objects. These are very sharp and sometimes delicate instruments. some here love them more then chef knives and some feel that they are much more versatile. It takes some practice to be exceptional in it's use, but when you become proficient everything else becomes easier. You would be amazed at what some chefs can do with them. If you chop bones and other hard objects with this you face the possibility of not only chipping the edge, but possibly breaking the blade or worse yet hurting yourself.

Son is absolutely right as usual. A good cleaver can do almost everything EXCEPT chop through bones like a monster cleaver, if you want to split the bones to get at the marrow or do primal cuts get a heavy blunt meat cleaver.

On the other hand, I use a 'chopping' motion with a slight draw cut for most cutting tasks with a cleaver. If you want to do fine slicing, put your index finger on top of the spine and do a forward and back slice, a sharp one will give you a fine cut for sushi if it will not lay them out in a nice line. I use my heavier Saji to disjoint chickens with a six cut progession including splitting the spine from the tail to the neck, and will cut through the cooked thigh bones for Hacked Chicken-but this is the heavier version. I would not try to cut anything denser than that, not with a 15-16 degree grind.

Cleavers properly used are faster and safer than french style knives as your fingers are further from the blade. Cleavers are the closest thing to an all-purpose knife that there is, in the Chinese kitchen I managed in Bermuda the Chefs had two chukabochos, one light and one heavier, and a long thin paring knife. They laughed at 'Western Chef' who carried around a bag filled with twenty knives, particularly when I used a cleaver as a line knife. When Thong Chai wanted to break down a whole hog he used a six pound single bevel cleaver with an upswept point, a chukabocho is great but NOT FOR BONES.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Ha! Felt the energy of your guys' responce there. Thank you for all of the input. I wish I could say I knew all that stuff but I didnt and now I do- muahaha. Good luck with the sale of this beautiful knife man. I figured spending $650 on knives this week is enough for me...still trying to pay off the engagement ring before proposing...

Congrats on the forthcoming proposal!
Don't feel stupid, it is kind of counter intuitive as a "Westerner" that a cleaver is not for cleaving. Another reason it's confusing is that you will often see Chinese cleavers being used to go through bones, cartilage, etc, because the knife beng used is a $10 version off the shelf of an Asian grocery store. Needless to say, a cleaver like a Takeda, or Harner is too great/expensive of a knife to be misused in such a way...you should see the edges of a $10 cleaver after being used for everything. It looks like the Rockies!

Ha! Felt the energy of your guys' responce there. Thank you for all of the input. I wish I could say I knew all that stuff but I didnt and now I do- muahaha. Good luck with the sale of this beautiful knife man. I figured spending $650 on knives this week is enough for me...still trying to pay off the engagement ring before proposing...

Good luck on the proposal. We weren't trying to beat you down, we were educating. ha!ha!

Congratulations on the upcoming proposal (and all that goes with it).

If there was overreaction, it's because of this particular video on YouTube:

[video=youtube;CXJRlpEfPnU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJRlpEfPnU[/video]

Oh, the horror ...

Rick

I love how she carefully lines up where she wants to make her cut on the carrot before just swinging wildly at it and letting the piece fly off the cutting board (probably onto the floor). "Expert" village indeed.

I can't believe I watched that again. 3rd whack that blade was toast already.

Back