D. Martell Spy Shot

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is a rough blade (1 min in etch with a light buff) after profiling from the billet so it's not looking anywhere near as nice as it will look when finished. Bad lighting outside for pictures too - very gray.

I started this project back in June and it's finally getting close enough to being done that I can feel it so I felt like sharing. :)

PS - it currently has no owner so if anyone is interested please feel free to contact me.:wink:

attachment.php

P1010024.JPG

June? What took so long? Did you forge it yourself?

As usual with pictures it's not showing it's true profile or feel on the board and it's not as flat in real life although for Stefan's tastes it's WAY too flat. This could be easily tweeked to whatever someone wanted though - takes seconds to change.

No I didn't make this damascus myself, I ordered the billet from a talented young maker Dan Seaver who runs Pure Damascus out of NY. I met Dan at Ashoken 1.5 years ago and took a liking to him and his work and then back in April I had a chance to finish out a blade that he had made for the NJ Steel Baron and that solidified me wanting to acquire some steel from him. This blade had a similar pattern to it although Dan called it a mistake but I loved it and asked him to repeat the mistake. He tried twice and this was the closest that he could get which I'm happy with. If this knife here finishes up like his mistake blade did then it should be something to see in person as his blade gave off a 3-D effect with tons of movement. Maybe some of you guys that attended this last year's ECG will recall the small blade that Aldo and myself were playing with earlier in the day?

Oh, almost forgot about stats....this is a 240mm gyuto in my standard pattern, steels used are 1084fg & 15n20 - angled raindrop pattern

Forgot to say why it took so long to get to this point, well there was Dan's working of the steel into his schedule as the first part but mostly it's been sitting here for 6 months or more due to me not having a metal cutting band saw. I've been walking past it thinking about how am I going to cut out the blade out of the billet. Finally, last night around midnight, I got a bug up my butt and grabbed my hacksaw and went to it. :tooth:

Well folks this one has been claimed already. Thanks to the buyer! :)

Thanks for checking it out and for the compliments, Dan will be happy to hear your comments.

I'll be sure to post completed pictures when it's all done.

Back