Hello!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan P.

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a blacksmith from Gloucestershire, in England, and I would like to get further into the manufacture of kitchen knives. I have made a few for family, friends, even a few for friends of friends. I am here to learn, observe, and offer up some of my attempts for critique.
-Dan

Welcome! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on things, and I hope that you'll pick up a lot of good info as well :)

Welcome to the forum :)
Whereabout in Gloucestershire are you? Grew up there before moving to London.
Take a look at some of WillC's work, he's in Hereford so not a million miles away
Looking forward to seeing some pics of your work

Hey you aren't too far from Will Catcheside, no? Let's see some collaborating!

Welcome!

1. Read "an edge in the kitchen" by chad ward
2. Read cookbooks and be as good as possible in the kitchen
3. Study different knives
4. Buy some knives from others

Thanks for the welcome!
I'm located just outside Winchcombe, which itself is just northeast of Cheltenham.
I have recently taken the lease on a very old forge, and my workshop is only slowly coming together, mostly re-doing old 1950's death trap wiring, and working out how to seat machine tools on a very uneven cobblestone floor.
I have previously worked as a decorative wrought iron smith, as well as doing work in metal conservation, and metal work for the entertainment industry, etc.
I have been lucky enough to handle some high-end Japanese knives. Unfortunately I am too poor to afford them, so I must make my own!
The main challenges I face are; 1. Consistent heat treatment that maximizes the properties of the steel. 2. Consistent fit & finish of the handle (balance, etc.). I probably also have a lot to learn about geometry, etc., but in that respect I don't even know what I'm doing wrong yet, let alone how to do it right!
oivind- Thanks for the book recommendation (and other advice). I will seek it out.
Thanks again,
-Dan

Welcome to the Knut house Dan! This place has the highest level of knowledge and expertise that I think you will find anywhere, and if the help that I have received is any indication, these guys are the most helpful anywhere as well!

Back