Greetings from Costa Mesa, California

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckhand

Reaction score
Hi my name is Richard. I grew up filleting fish on sportfishing boats in Newport Beach with a 10" forschner. I was a cook at Howard Johnson's years ago. I love to cook at home. Just joined the madness with a misono ux10 gyuto 210mm, tojiro senkou birds beak, and FH hattori parer. I have a boardsmith maple magnum being made right now and Dave asked me to join. I will buy more and more knives and much longer ones, but my dream knife that I want currently is a santoku. Yes, I know not cool in most knife forums:scared4: I want a hattori KD santoku i am on the list with Koki, but doubt Hattori will ever get it made with his health and age. If anyone ever has one to sell let me know. It is my unicorn knife.:biggrin:

Welcome aboard! Looks like you've already bitten into things hook, line and sinker ;)

Welcome, Richard!

You're right, we will probably see no more Hattori KDs made, but there are alternatives. Any one of the bladesmiths in the forum is able to make a damascus santoku for you that may well take the place of your "unicorn". Look at some of the work done by Pierre Rodrigue, Randy Haas, Michael Rader, Devin Thomas, Bill Burke, Del Ealy, David Broadwell, Will Catchside, Mike Davis, Butch Harner, Marko Tsourkan and, of course, Dave Martell.

Rick

santoku%201.jpg

B0ACF702-1D09-2E94-8F5508ADCEF1622C.jpg

Welcome, Richard!

You're right, we will probably see no more Hattori KDs made, but there are alternatives. Any one of the bladesmiths in the forum is able to make a damascus santoku for you that may well take the place of your "unicorn". Look at some of the work done by Pierre Rodrigue, Randy Haas, Michael Rader, Devin Thomas, Bill Burke, Del Ealy, David Broadwell, Will Catchside, Mike Davis, Butch Harner, Marko Tsourkan and, of course, Dave Martell.

Rick

santoku%201.jpg

Thanks for the advice on some custom makers. I am sure I will get some custom knives made and love them. I will still want my unicorn. Salty had one, but think he already sold it awhile back. I know they are out there, just very elusive :biggrin:

Welcome, nice to meet a guy that's apparently been around for a while, lol.

I want a hattori KD santoku i am on the list with Koki, but doubt Hattori will ever get it made with his health and age. If anyone ever has one to sell let me know. It is my unicorn knife.

Hi Richard, welcome.

You should post a "WTB" thread in the B/S/T subforum here. Who knows, maybe your unicorn will make an appearance for you.

Welcome to the Knut House!
Best of luck on your quest, sometimes the search is worthwhile for it's own sake!

Stranger things have happened. I would be willing to bet that someone here owns your unicorn. Whether he (or she) is interested in selling, that's another matter. Good luck!

Welcome to the Knut House!
Best of luck on your quest, sometimes the search is worthwhile for it's own sake!
Thanks. I definitely agree the search is worthwhile for it's own sake.

Stranger things have happened. I would be willing to bet that someone here owns your unicorn. Whether he (or she) is interested in selling, that's another matter. Good luck!
DefinItely agree. I know there are those that have it, but whether or not they are willing to part with it. Guess it depends on where they are with their collections, other knife obsessions, or with goodwill. It may take a while, but I believe in good things.

Welcome, Richard!

Rick

santoku%201.jpg

Some of the knife makers here are amazing. That was good advice. For example, the feather Damascus on Saltys scimitar damn that thing is amazing. I think from Devin Thomas"Hoss." and the Santoku you put in the picture. Knives made of meteorite by HHH, while his son goes for a million layers. Pierre Rodrigue sujihiki with the blue mammoth tooth. Examples, definitely not wanting to leave anyone out. Tons of amazing talent. I should just set up direct deposit accounts.:biggrin:

I saw your town on other posts, but don't think I saw the welcome thread. Welcome from Newport Beach!
Very cool. Was born at Hoag, grew up on Lido Isle, parents still live there. In fact my kids sail out of Lido isle yacht club. Deckhanded at Art's landing now called Newport Landing, and Davey's Locker. Good to meet a local.

Not that local, just been here a year, burbs and San Diego the recent history behind that. Down below Hoag, top of the peninsula, a couple of blocks from the water. San Diego was my favorite, but this is pretty damn nice as well. I definitely do not miss seasons, though it sounds like you have not encountered them being southern Caliornia born and bred.

Went to college in Napa Valley. Liked it up there, but I always say this is the coldest place I ever want to live. Love San Diego. Spent a lot of time down there. Also, did a lot of Long Range fishing out of there. Even went to the Bill Poole tribute dinner before he passed away. He started the landings. Still have a lot of friends in the industry down there. Usually take my son to Day on the Docks. Looks like you have a boardsmith knife block. Lucky guy. I am waiting on a boardsmith magnum board. Dave is a great guy.

Late welcome Richard. I too search for the mythical KD but may have to give it up that search. The nice thing is that there is so much good stuff out there that will also make you feel great and cut even better.

k.

Late welcome Richard. I too search for the mythical KD but may have to give it up that search. The nice thing is that there is so much good stuff out there that will also make you feel great and cut even better.

k.
Thank you for the welcome.
Agree. I will keep looking, but some of the feather Damascus would make me feel a lot better.:biggrin:
Or the twin to your ice cream spoon.

Very cool. Was born at Hoag, grew up on Lido Isle, parents still live there. In fact my kids sail out of Lido isle yacht club. Deckhanded at Art's landing now called Newport Landing, and Davey's Locker. Good to meet a local.
I grew up in El toro not to far from you guys.

:biggrin:
I grew up in El toro not to far from you guys.
Grew up watching the blue angels fly there every year. Quite interesting thought maybe from your Mexico story maybe you spent some time down there. Wish you were still local.
Had a great time talking with you and Salty. We should almost start our own thread. The Salty,Sachem,Deckhand thread so as not to irritate the moderators.The Son I and Son II and expendables comments cracked me up.

Used to hang out with those guys at their home in El Centro, Sunbeam Lake, Naval base. I spent a few years doing some Mexicali and Sinaloa stuff. Things wrapped suddenly and I quickly moved on to other projects, for other clients in cooler climes.(Phoenix, Scottsdale, Santa Fe and them up North.) I didn't leave anything there that I missed other than my family. I might head back one day, kinda not enamored with NYC. Rather head up into the Sierras Nevadas or Oregon and drop out for awhile and relax.

Closest I came to those types of pilots was my dad who was the doctor for the workers and test pilots on the stealth bomber project when it was in the black before it went into the blue. And listening to Buzz Aldren talk about his plane getting shot up. He was very upset reached down realized it was blood when he checked his hand. He was relieved. He thought that they had shot his bottle of booze. Sounds like you have a different skill set. Between Oregon and Sierra Nevada. I personally would pick Sierra Nevada. Some of my family
had a cattle ranch in Oregon the Guerin T ranch in Myrtle Point. Hard to beat living by the John Muir Trail. I hiked it from Happy Isles in Yosemite to Mt. Whitney Portal where Lone Pine is nothing better anywhere.

skunk works, used to know some of those guys, too. worked out at the Burbank facility and then later at the Palmdale facility for a little while cleaning up messes, but I'm not supposed to talk about that.lol Scary times. too much exposure.

I have hunted in Sierras for most of my life and was actually born in Northbend, Oregon and kinda miss it. I agree with you, just wish they would get more snow, when I first started going into the Sierras, alot of those passes where snowed in all year, not so much for a good many years now.

Yep. My dad was a doctor in the Korean War. Did some work at Northrop. Supposedly,I was concieved on a base.
Not too bad in Oregon if you are from there. They can smell a Californian from a mile away. My grandma used to tell me about the cowboys and Indians and loggers. Sing me old time bar songs. Guess many a winter was applesauce
and venison. She went from that to owning apartments even a high rise in
downtown Los Angeles by the Pantry if you ever ate there. Loved that building still had paintings on the walls in
the basement from being a speakeasy.

Back