Quantcast
1 MILLION layer damascus billet! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 MILLION layer damascus billet!

Had to unload a couple hundred pics from the camera.. But have started taking a few pics of the process! Hang in there it wont be long now and Ill have some pics posted!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Wouldn't you loose a lot of steel with that many folds?
    I'm assuming random pattern
    At that amount of folds I would think the two steels chemistry would almost become indiscriminate on a molecular level.

I think traditionally Japanese swords are done with 16 folds, which means 65536 layers.
    All you need to do is fold 20 times and you get the 1 million layers
    if you fold 32 times you get 4 billion + layers

Pictures!!

Stacked up for the 500 layer weld.

Heating the billet to welding temp.

setting the weld

Cleaning up the stick welds from the billet B4 drawing it out. Its now500 layers.

Drawing out the steel

500 layers

Cut and restacked, now hes gona repeat the process this weld will be 2000 layers!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    I think traditionally Japanese swords are done with 16 folds, which means 65536 layers.
    All you need to do is fold 20 times and you get the 1 million layers
    if you fold 32 times you get 4 billion + layers
    As you can see, Jr's process is a bit different then the way you may of been thinking, with folds. He builds his layer count up by drawing the bar and cutting it into multiple pieces. Then cleaning them and re stacking and then setting another weld. There are no actual folds in his process.

His method works for him and I figure if it aint broke why try and fix it.. by asking him to do it different.

Availible Knives

All the math in this post is making me sea sick. The pics are a good antidote...

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Wouldn't you loose a lot of steel with that many folds?
    I'm assuming random pattern
    At that amount of folds I would think the two steels chemistry would almost become indiscriminate on a molecular level.
    Yep, random pattern!! Im not sure about the molecular level. but I do know that its gona be some TIGHT patterning!

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by bcrano View Post
    All the math in this post is making me sea sick. The pics are a good antidote...
    Agreed.

I flirted with the idea of doing the math on how many folds it would take to hit 1 million, but quit about thirty seconds into it.

I have the Dragonslayers right now, do you know how many layers are in them? As far as patterns go, much farther than these and the results are going to be more for something other that looks!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

So i'm assuming any knife you make of this is going to be ****-awful expensive.
    So i shouldn't be here, i'll just go cry myself to bed.

+ Reply to Thread