Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 MILLION layer damascus billet!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    +1 on the live feed

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

He added 9 pieces of alternating 1080 and 15n20 to this last weld. giving the additional 9 pieces.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Your boy is mad! lol!! Man I'd love to be in on a marathon forging session! Good for him! Be proud dad!
    We would love to have you visit Pierre. you have a open invite!! Yes I am proud.. and yes hes MAD!! Were havin too much fun with this.. Thanks guys for checking it out and the comments and encouragement!!

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I was reading on the american blade smith's page a few weeks ago they were saying that over 500 is to fine to see.

Optimal for pattern development in straight
    laminated billets is between 300 to 500 layers. Going the next step to 1,000 layers makes the
    pattern too fine and staying under 300 it appears wide and bold.

posted by Don Fogg. After reading that I was wondering what something like what you are doing was going to look like. Thank you for not making me take forging lessons to see. Love the pics you 2 have posted on other threads. God has defiantly given you a great imagination that you have shared with your son, and I am very glad you 2 have shared it with others.

Im not sure what its gona look like, and Jr has wanted to try this for some time. Guess we are gona have to wait and see.. I would have to agree with Don on the numbers, but there are many variables to be considered which would change the equation.. I seen a blade the other day they said was 600+ layers and it looked like Jr's 200 later steel.. So either they did there math wrong or started with really thick materials.. lol

One thing for sure. No matter what Im gona make a knife from this and be just as proud of it as any of the steel he has forged so far!

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    I thought the main reason was to get an even distribution of the impurities of the tamahagane...
    Me too.?.

Availible Knives

128036 and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep this is getting CRAZY! only 2 more welds after this one and were topping a MILLION..

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    As you can see, Jr's process is a bit different then the way you may of been thinking, with folds. He builds his layer count up by drawing the bar and cutting it into multiple pieces. Then cleaning them and re stacking and then setting another weld. There are no actual folds in his process.

His method works for him and I figure if it aint broke why try and fix it.. by asking him to do it different.
    I was not suggesting to change the method just stating what I know about it. Whether the steel will be folded in two or cut in 4 welded and then hammered the end result will be the same. Your way will be also faster to get the same number of layers.

Right on, theres more them one way to skin a cat. Or make a bar of 1000000 layer damascus! lol Thanks for posting.

Availible Knives

Randy Jr. is a beast. I watched him work...that dude is crazy awesome. I am dying to see this Randy!!!! Tell him i said to hurry the **** up!!!! hahaha