DC restaurant recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
We're staying with relatives for three nights in DC and want to take them out for a nice dinner. All of us are adventuresome eaters so the field is wide open. Wild Boar needs to give the name of the place where he ate, and I've heard the Birch and Barley is good.

Looking for something on the upper end of moderate in price.

Cough it up WB!

Whoops -- saw your PM first. Got a preference for what part of DC? Sachem's recommendation above is pretty good :D They have a pretty extensive wine list as well. Most were $45-65/ bottle, although there are soeme higher and lower.

B&B has ~550 beers, so that could be attractive for beer drinkers. It's in a much livelier part of town, and the combo of B&B/ Churchkey can be on the noisy side. A&S is the opposite; modern interior, but not too packed so it's easy to carry on a conversation.

We're attending a conference at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, so good lunch places would be great to know. We're staying in Arlington.

Art and Soul appeals to me and is probably worth the splurge. I'll have to check with the boss and see how the money tree is growing.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you do decide to visit A&S some extra dishes will mysteriously appear on your table.

I'd also welcome the chance to visit the kitchen, as long as chef isn't too busy!

Depending on where you will be in Arlington, there are a ton of decent-enough places for everyday dinners, although not too many are spectacular. The corridor from Rosslyn through Clarendon and on to Ballston is heavily populated with young professionals, and lots restaurants mirror that. Heavily populated, solid food, and plenty of bar area. And there are 'upper crust' chain restaurants, like Cheescake Factory and Las Tapas. There's also a small group of Ray's restaurants, starting with Ray's the Steaks and Hellburger. Ray's the Steaks is known for being a no-frills, top-flight steak house. Costs less then Ruth's Chris, etc., and argueably has better steaks. The atmosphere is a bit, well, basic, but that's why they can offer lower prices.

And if you will be staying closer to Shirlington, there is a strip full of restaurants (again, mainly so-so), with a really good Thai place, and a 'modern Italian' place called Extra Virgin that makes their own pasta and sausage. Out of the two, I'd go with the Thai though. Less expensive, and consistantly good.

The Omni kinda exists in it's own world near the National Zoo. It's a large compound, but right outside the end of the main drive is a strip loaded with restaurants. Lebanese Taverna is pretty good, and has some ligher fare that should do well for lunch. There's also a sushi place (I don't know anything about it, though). But as close as these places are, it may be tough to walk there, get seated, eat and return in less then 1-1/2 hours. Of course there are places to eat in the Omni compound, and if your lunch breaks are short you may have to make do with them.

The Omni is also less then a mile from an area called Adams Morgan, which is a mixing pot of ethnic restaurants from all over the world. Easily over 50 places. I don't have much to offer here; you'd be better off doing some Internet searches and seeing what types of cuisine interest you. Most of the places are pretty small, and as a whole they tend to be less expensive then restaurants in some other parts of town.

But for that night you want to treat your relatives, definitely take Travis up on his offer. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Make setting this up the first order of business in your trip planning. The passion he and his team have is infectious.

Jose is a deciple of Adrian Ferrera (sp?). MiniBar is supposed to be a top-notch experience, although I'm not sure how far in advance you need to book.

Ferran Adria. I believe it is a month in advance for reservations, and even then it is tough.

Well shoot, I really buggered his name up!

Not sure of the overall food budget, but if you're looking to splurge for just one night make sure it's with Travis. Michel Richard's Central is another good one to try if you want a french slant to things.

There is no shortage of places to go in DC and Arlington, so it really comes down if you want each meal to be memorable, or if you are mainly looking for solid food. And of course overall food budget factors in pretty heavily.

Back