Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A start to finish WIP

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the process. It was a chalange, but a lot of fun as well.
    That billet was actually the second attempt, the first wasn't up to snuff.

Oh, I forgot to add at the begining, the core is O1, and the bright ribbon you see seperating the core from the san mai cladding is pure nickel.
    Great looking knife Pierre.

Do many san mai knives have a different metal to separate the core from the cladding? The only other knives that I know for sure that have that are the Jin knives that Jon sells. They have a copper liner. It looks tremendous.

Can you explain what the purpose is for using a different material to separate the core from the cladding?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Robin, I'm going tp drill a bunch of holes in the blade, and then insert those little rhinestones (spelling?) I was thinking purple or orange. What do you think?? ( Kidding of course!)
    Did you say diamonds inserted in the end cap? My wife would like that! Especially if it's her new "benchmark" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Diamond since we visited Washington.

Looking forward to discussing this further. I am a bit of a minimalist in knife design, but i might make an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Great looking knife Pierre.

Do many san mai knives have a different metal to separate the core from the cladding? The only other knives that I know for sure that have that are the Jin knives that Jon sells. They have a copper liner. It looks tremendous.

Can you explain what the purpose is for using a different material to separate the core from the cladding?
    Micheal, in this knife, the nickel serves a dual role, the first is asthetics. It draws the eye, and gives a visual seperation between the core and cladding damascus. Secondly, to control carbon migration between the core and damascus.

Hope that helps.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Micheal, in this knife, the nickel serves a dual role, the first is asthetics. It draws the eye, and gives a visual seperation between the core and cladding damascus. Secondly, to control carbon migration between the core and damascus.

Hope that helps.
    Aye, sailors! One doesn't want the carbon to escape from the O1 core. The Black Pearl is afloat! "C'mon yer useless land-crabs! Bring me that horizon!"
    Yo, ho-ho and a bottle of Rum...

OMG! This is so incredibly bad-ass cool I almost soil myself

DarKHOeK
    (Commander of The Black Pearl)

It is finally finished! I promised Harald a while ago something special, something he had no clue about, and tormented him incessently about it. As you know H called the suji the "Black Pearl" from the black lip mother of pearl spacer. I added an amonite to the butt, essentially a fossilized shell, and keeping with the ocean theme, I selected materials to protect the knife. A saya was necessary, I didn't think I could match Haralds woodworking skills, so this is what I came up with. Thanks for looking!

Attachment 5348Attachment 5349
    Attachment 5350Attachment 5351
    Attachment 5352Attachment 5353
    Sorry late to the party my wife has an still is in the hospital since Thursday. Definitely wanted to say this knife and saya raised the bar. Really really amazing work!!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Sorry late to the party my wife has an still is in the hospital since Thursday. Definitely wanted to say this knife and saya raised the bar. Really really amazing work!!
    I hope your wife is all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I hope your wife is all right.
    Thanks I appreciate it. Originally thought it was food poisoning or flu, but it went downhill fast. ER, cat scans with contrast etc. Had me spooked. I had visions of no wife and raising our four kids without her. She has some form of collitis they are still trying to figure it out she will be there a few more days, but be ok.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    in my prayers. Good to hear she will be ok.

Add my prayers! She will be fine!

I'm glad you liked the knife. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Pierre

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Deckhand, sorry to read about your wife's trip to the hospital. Pass on our love to help with a speedy recovery.

Once more, great work, Pierre. Sorry, but I came back and looked at it again!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com