Quantcast
Wusthof Scimeter - My first restoration
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wusthof Scimeter - My first restoration

Wusthof Scimeter - My first restoration

So I wanted a nice scimeter and I couldn't afford a custom. Did some searching on the fleabay and I found a 12" carbon steel old Wusthof 153-12 model scimeter. I figured it had a shot at being pretty good since it was supposedly made before 1987 when most of the Germans switched over to recycled steel. It came to me pretty cruddy with some pitting on the blade, a part of the handle broken off, corroding pins, and dull as could be.

Here's how it turned out! New handle is curly walnut with a tung oil finish and copper pins. No patina yet because I had to take pictures as soon as I finished putting an edge on it! There's a few small gaps where there was some minor flake out from reinserting the pins, but it's my first attempt and I don't mind it not being 100% perfect. Oh, and I couldn't resist taking a picture of my boxer puppy since he was out back when I was snapping the "after" photos.

Couldn't figure out embedding the photos but there's a lot so it might just be easier to take the link to imgur. http://imgur.com/a/Oq46V#0

That came out great. What were your steps for restoring the blade? All hand sanding? Did you sand through past the pitting? I've got an old beast of a chef's knife that when I get a chance want to bring the blade back to a nicer condition. Scared to think how many hours it would take to sand through to get past the pitting.

I'm a fan of scimitars too and had Dave rehandle one for me, came out beautiful.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post69146

I've already one loin into steaks so the patina is coming along nicely.

It was all by hand, 180-600 grit wet/dry sand paper on a foam sanding block. I didn't get quite all of the "character" out of it, but i got most of it. I also ended up getting a lot of the edge grind marks out (they were pretty rough actually). There's really just one section on the front side that has any sign of the pitting now. I just realized most of the pictures hide it pretty well, haha! You can see it best in the last photo where the reflection on the blade turns darker.

Great job! I just love bringing old tools back to life!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like how you extended the front of the new handle down to cover the heel up; looks a million X's better!!!!!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Nice job! Where did you get your hardware?

No Chop, the original handle looked roughly like mine on the side not shown in the "before" photo. That bit was just broken off

The pins are just solid copper brazing rods (bought online actually). The handle was quite secure just from friction fit, but I used an epoxy for something more permanent. BTW, drilling out holes so those pins would fit through the tang was no fun. I'm debating whether to do that again on my next handles (old Sabatier chefs knife and a forged Dexter carving fork) or to suck it up and buy some corby bolts.

Nice! It looks great.

Hell.. now i want a scimitar too..

Nice knife. Nice dog too.

+ Reply to Thread