Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternative Chili

I know you said no beans and while I totally agree with that one as I hate kidney beans in any chilli. However, my buddy makes a slammin black bean chilli. I do love black beans though. He uses onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, chilli powder and sometimes chipotle for a little smokiness. Garnish with diced red onion, cheddar, fried corn tortilla strips and sour cream? Win!!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    That's more or less what I did a couple weeks ago when I made vegan chili, except I added corn and used pureed and strained dried New Mexico chiles instead of chili powder.
    Kyle,
    Thats the WAY!!!.

PZ

Corn +1
    Roast chilies then peel and dice
    Butternut squash cubes
    Finely minced cilantro stalks, but make sure to add in time to let them dissolve
    Dark chocolate
    Careful w/ the beer: No IPAs or other super hopped varieties or you'll get a bitterness that sugar won't remove
    Secret weapon: a diced anchovie, but I guess the vegans will nix that

Alright. Well that turned out great! The only hominy I have in the house is blue hominy, so I used that, farro, and lentils as the grains. I used my roasted veg stock, and supplemented a bit of reduced boxed mushroom broth. Added a bottle of Milk Stout (no milk in there, just lactose) and some cocoa powder. Thickened with Masa. Chilis were hand ground New Mexico, California, and Mulattos, plus some diced chipotles. Could have used a bit more heat says I, but others found it spicy enough...

Thick I'll bring this guy to the next company chili-cookoff and watch the Texans erupt in protest!

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Well crap. Turns out even artificially produced lactose has a dairy base and is therefore not vegan... Whatever. What they don't know won't kill them.

Haha, that's the spirit! Also, the sauteed veggies will have more flavor if you saute them in bacon grease