Quantcast
culinary schools under fire. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: culinary schools under fire.

Well I got into a pretty bad school for my first culinary school... I knew more about some of the subjects they are teaching then the 'culinary trainers' themselves.. And probably only 8 or 10 % of my batch of graduates actually continued in this line.

I'm not against it of course but make sure you know what you are getting yourself into and choose a reputable organisation. The certificate you get just helps you to 'open the door' so to speak. The rest is up to you.

What do you guys think of culinary programs at community colleges? Two of my friends just finished an accelerated 1 year associates program at our local CC. It was 5 days a week, 8-5 for a whole year with only two 1 week breaks, no summer breaks or anything. It's hard to get into, there are a lot of applicants but they only accept about 20% on a lottery basis and I think it cost them maybe $2,000 tops out of pocket. They said it was a lot of hard work and was exhausting but they've both been finished since December and they're both still working at the same chain restaraunt they were working at before graduation. Although their own complacency and lack of motivation to go get a better job could be to blame.

I really like reading these threads. I don't think I want anything to do with the restaraunt industry, unless I owned my own place, but I always like everyone's opinions about these. Those of you that think culinary school is a waste of time and people could just work and gain experience instead, do restaraunts hire people with zero experience to do line cook jobs next to CIA grads? Where does someone with no restaruant/school experience start?

You start at the bottom like everyone else. Wash dishes,peel bags of onions and potatoes,learn how to handle a knife by chopping,slicing anything you can get your hands on.Show some real interest and passion for food and cooking.Watch and learn....

A culinary degree put's you about 3-5 years ahead of some one going through the back door .and depends on who's back door you knock on.
    i seen some culinary grads do good work and a handful were great but a lot just a big let down and the guy that was washing dishes 6 years ago will kick his ass on the line. oh and DON'T wear your little school chef jacket in a real kitchen . SHOE MAKER

That was the sear now the lesson
    in the L.A. TIMES food section they have a good story with chef Keller. a master class .