Quantcast
Updates from Metal land. - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates from Metal land.

Looks very good

Wow,really really nice! Love the extra patterning on the ferrule, but it all looks good.

Thanks Fellas, its nice to have these all together, the next pair will follow shortly....

I haven't looked into this thread in a while, clearly a mistake - great work, Will! Just curious about the damascus ferrules since I had been thinking about that for a while - are they from a massive piece? How does that affect the weight of the handle? I would love to be able to do some more metal work - I am from an old metal worker family, after all - but that's not going to happen in the near future. But I can live vicariously through your work here

Stefan

Hey Stefan, thanks for stopping by and admiring Yes for the ferrules I forged a large W's pattern billet to about 27mm keeping as square as possible, then I cut the bar into more manageable lengths about 6' long to grind as flat and square as I can on the belt grinder. Surface grinder would be ideal here, but we work with what we have.... Then I chop to just over the ferrule length to allow for further squaring on the ends. I drill the little damascus block as centrally and square as possible, 12mm for my dowel, but stop just short of coming out the other side. I then run a 2mm drill through and shape my slot from there to be a nice tight fit on the tang.
    The balance will want to be further forward, but as I grind the bits dry bolted on a jig, I can then play with my dowel material, where as for a handle with little weight I would use a slotted 12mm brass rod as the dowel to get the balance on or just ahead of the choil, for one with damascus I will use either aluminium or if it needs to be lighter still, hard wood for the dowel. I suppose I could use titanium as well, but no-one would ever see it
    On these the balance works out just on the front of the choil. I just weighed the little Gyuto, its coming in at 228 grams, plus a bit of epoxy after i've stuck the handle on. Its a 220mm blade, so its not exactly a feather weight.

You know...I think damasteel do rounds and squares in different sizes, they even do the layers forged like rings on a tree, can't get my head around how they do that...must have a clever machine
    And I expect they do their patterns in tube stock for machining gun barrels, could be another way to have a hollow damascus collar/ferrule...
    Cheers
    Will

Great info, thanks Will. I never even thought about damasteel, have to look into that... Other than that, your method sound very similar to what I do except that I only use a short dowel because I most often don't know what the tangs will look like.

stefan

Right, were getting there
    Blades hand finished awaiting logo etch and damascus etch.

From right to left, Sean -feather Gyuto, Matt - monster feather Gyuto - Judd - butterflies pattern/blue 2 Monster Suji - Two unclaimed butterflies Suji's on the left.
    Getting all the handle bits together, all now squared and drilled.

Seans two tone amboyna/dammy handle.

Looks a bit odd here, because I decided to use the block on the diamond to get an even balance of the two tone effect on the handle, the dammy bit needs to be that orientation to get the most of the W's.

Starting to square it off again.

Now octagonal with a taper at the front - I love the two tone amboyna like this with a half half balance.

Shows the front taper.
    Now needs to be glued up with the dowel inside and polished up and etched.
    But which way up to have the vivid red?

Engorged Member
    How long is the the big Suji in the group picture?

Vivid red on the top. Gives the knife a nice flow from handle to blade.

I. CAN'T. WAIT.

+ Reply to Thread