Quantcast
Updates from Metal land. - Page 19
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates from Metal land.

My friend is doing Cheltenham food festival this weekend. I haven't quite been ready stock wise for the shows this year. I have plans for next year. He urged me to come and nest in with him at his table with what ever I have and my sharpening gear to do some demo's. His stall is next to Jamie Oliver, so I felt it has to be worth a shot. Earnestly I finished up some knives, with a final polish and clean up before sharpening, I managed to fumble and flip a very pointy 280 mm suji which landed in my toe, missing the bone but cleanly going through lengthways down one side of my 3 rd toe, (I still have 5 altogether) I kept it together with a bit of J cloth tied around it and drove myself to hospital...to get it properly dressed,,,, a clean cut...the benefit of a good knife I suppose, Its pretty sore today though. I hope to still make the food show on Sunday to ambush Jamie and try not to drop anything.

Ow! Good luck Will, I'd like to meet Jamie myself.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I want to get him to try out one of knives.... If I get the chance to talk to him, I imagine if he shows up in person this weekend it could be for a brief demo or book signing. Maybe not, he is a propper grafting london geezer after all.

Well Cheltenham food festival was interesting, considering I was just walking around with some huge knives in a brief case, folk were very friendly. Jamie was not there, one of his kitchen boys informed me that there is no point in buying an expensive knife because they get used hard and thrown away...well if you don't understand the principles of sharpening and buy throw away knives.... I got some flyers to the right people though and got some good feedback on the new handle style. A chap making pate did 100 onions with it right infront of me. Loved the knife said the handle would be perfect if it was made to fit, so for him it needed to be a touch larger for the ridge to sit nicely in the knuckles. His knife of choice was a thai sort of small thin Gyuto, less than 1mm thick, soft as anything with no sort of edge, but just cut due to being generally thin. He said it was 10 pence in thailand, he bought a load and just threw them away when they were too beaten up. The was a chap there with a V sharpening gizmo, I stopped by for a brief argument but should have lead him on a bit first, next time. Lots of chopping boards, no one knew why I would want an end grain board.
    I spent a fair bit of money walking around came away with various cured meats and some Black truffle butter, mmmm
    But a nice day and some good research, If I do the shows next year i'm going to need some no frills beater working knives but my way with great steel ht and grind. And my Dammy range to show what I can do.

Wow, sounds like it's gonna be a hard sell convincing people the value of a good knife there. I can relate, but that still sounds bad. I've found that 1 in about 100 people even remotely 'get' it.

Makes me want to open a restaurant just so I can show quick prep and be and how much less waste would be produced from cooks caring for their tools.

Yep but on a positive though its virtually a blank canvas. But i know if i do some shows next year it will be showing the complete package, good knife and how to maintain it. And selling a few sharpening bits to go with the knives. You should come and demo Eamon.

I guarantee you that if my wife could book some photo shoots and I could get some local work and pay for the trip, my family would be in Herefordshire absolutely any time. We'd clear the schedule.

Totally serious.

*double post

Seriously digging the profile and handle of that "extra" Suji. From my perspective your work has shown a lot of refinement and progress (and maybe progress is the wrong word to convey the idea that you have responded exceedingly well to what the folks on this forum like about knives) in the short amount of time that this forum has existed. Keep it up.

Thankyou very much, thats very encouraging. Im rushing about a bit at the moment but here is what i have either ready to go out or available. I will give you guys on my mailing list a preview of what will be for sale next week and some prices.
    Brief group shot for you. I need to fix the handles on the petty and give them a honing.
    I have had two more sizes of stamps made, so a smaller stamp for petty and paring knives.
    Can anyone think of a name for the new pattern petty at the bottom, ? that one is also a different mix in 01/15n20 it averages 62hrc. The rest are blue paper core damascus clad, top suji in 15n20/1080 with the new diamond D handle.
    More to come and ill send out a news letter tomorrow. Have a fun weekend.

Join my mailing list here, for previews on upcoming knives for sale, Auctions will come...........thats the plan anyway.
    http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/knife-auctions.html