Quantcast
Updates from Metal land. - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates from Metal land.

Engorged Member
    I approve of this thread and any contents herein!

Will, when you cut and bundle them into 9, how do you orient the bars?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Right some progress.
    Mat's monster Feather Gyuto, with the feathers going the other way.

And here it is shaped and ready for HT, next to my 270mm Masamoto. My ks is actually 280mm, Mat's is presently 290mm
    If thats too big let me know, seems a shame to make it smaller.

Judd, pattern development. This is after doing a billet of W's and forging to about 30mm square 50cm long.
    Notice the silver lines are finer for this version of the butterfly pattern, I think it will work better.

That bar was cut to 9 and will be restacked 3 x 3. Then folded a few times to get the compression right....... The rest of the plan is a secret, lets just say Judd knows how to set a challenge.

Michael, I've forged out your damascus clad/blue 250mm Gyuto too, its pickling clean overnight before a final work down in the hammer.

For this pattern with the W's all running the same way. It sounds daft like you may as well have just used more layers in the W's but the effect is quite different.

Will, that is awesome. I agree it would be a shame to make it smaller. I hope HT goes well.
    How's your neck?

Not daft. i twisted a bar of W's, which, in theory, unlike cutting into the long axis to make firestorm, should have made much difference in the end grain pattern, but it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    For this pattern with the W's all running the same way. It sounds daft like you may as well have just used more layers in the W's but the effect is quite different.

Cool, it will be left a biggie then Matt. Neck much better thanks as long as I do my stretches morning and evening.

I changed my mind on the Butterfly pattern in the end and have the middle row going the other way, mix it up a bit. Have a look what it looks like tomorrow.

Those two big damascus blocks are now this........

The inch square bold W's is for ferrules in general and 3 of the Feather blades.

And here we have "Judd Mascus" Judd I changed it slightly and we have the middle W's going perpendicular to the blade.

Out of that big block, which I continued to fold and compress a little more, we have 3 and a half lumps which will forge out to about the same length as the one I have drawn out and test etched and about a half inch in thickness.

These billets are a little short for a 300 Suji I hear you cry Well I will need two of the lumps forged to about 150mm by 50mm by 7mm for Judds final blade construction. The pattern is still over compressed and this is to plan. As it will be forged out allot more. Can you guess what it is yet? Brownie points for anyone who can guess

I'm thinking maybe the bold W's might be a bit strong with the Feather pattern blades. I might do a simple high layer tight twist billet for ferrules too to give some choice. For the endcaps I have the same billet as the last damascus fitted blades.

That end cap is awesome

Thanks for the pics, very impressive.

+ Reply to Thread