Quantcast
Updates from Metal land. - Page 13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates from Metal land.

Davids Handles and blades well on the way now.
    Handle materials are damascus ferrule/blackwood/Amboyna/blackwood/damascus
    Assembled dry on my Jigs at the moment to get them all ground to shape before gluing up and doing the final finish.

Tks for the WIP info..

I certainly hope that you do have excellent masks , ventilation and filter system with so much grinding of metal and exotic wood as I don' t seem to recall seeing a pic of you wearing a mask or these items in the Pics posted in Metal Land...

hv fun...

rgds D

Thanks David, yep I wear a paper mask. I do need to get some proper extraction sorted though soon......To keep the mess down apart from everything else.
    These are really fun with the damascus bits by the time I get this far with all the good bits to come and all the squaring marking and careful drilling out the way.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Thanks David, yep I wear a paper mask. I do need to get some proper extraction sorted though soon......To keep the mess down apart from everything else.
    These are really fun with the damascus bits by the time I get this far with all the good bits to come and all the squaring marking and careful drilling out the way.
    Hi Will,

It all boils down to micron size of the mask and particles.. and a tight fitting one.

worth the money spent on good extraction system and mask. Your are going to breath it into your lungs and there it shall remain and accumulate. When you take off the mask.. its still in the air (in Metal Land)

a major concern will be exotic wood as some can be poisonous. I suppose iron particles can't be good for the lungs too. Even Ironman doesn't have it .There is a thread some where abt this in this forum..

should look into this very seriously...

rgds

D

Thanks David for your concern. Yes its a decent mask with changeable filters. I need a dust extractor rigged up on the machine. I have a large fan at head height in the window, but its mainly to lift any carbon monoxide out of the air at that height and for when i'm spraying paint etc.
    Difficult one with these handles as the steel sparks would set fire to the dust in the extractor.....

Rough ground the pieces fully to shape assembled dry on the jig.

Carefully marked for reassembly

Reassembled on the slotted dowel, now using west systems epoxy which takes about half an hour before it starts to gel even slightly.
    Works really well as I let it run in to all the joints and then push the pieces together with finger pressure only making sure its all flush on a flat plate, just as it starts to gel I clamp it up.

I've given the whole handle a coat of epoxy in this pic, just too fill any open grain.
    So should just be polishing to go if nothing has moved.....

Whoops! My ethant must have become contaminated somehow, this one went pink for a bit!

Quick sneak peak at these two. Still needing to do a bit of handle fit up and epoxy the handles on and sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    AMAZING ! !

Looks coppery, reminds me of a firework

+ Reply to Thread