Quantcast
Updates from Metal land. - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates from Metal land.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    There coming along really well Will, nice one. The stand out piece for me looks like it's going to be the butterflies suji. If it looks this good now, god knows how stunning it will look when fully handled and polished.
    My preference is still the feather design.. ( design; structured and organised to have that pattern.. The butterfly wld be great/Perfect for The " electro- man" or for one with the randomness taste; but beneath it there still should be a pattern if one looks hard enough; imaginative or otherwise adn isn't that what a piece of art is subject to?

hv a nice week-end

rgds
    d

Thanks Guys, Mark you can be my pattern tester, if you start to hum white rabbit and go bleary eyed, Pattern = Good
    Aphex, your Gyuto will be pretty too, just not the type of pattern that shows much before grinding the bevels. These are all heat treated and tempered now. And all is well.

I also got some handles glued up today for some other bits I need to get out. Davids test piece Stainless. And a test piece Suji and Petty which have been snaffled. I still have to etch/ fit the handles for those, but they will be out next week.

Thanks All, have a great weekend.

Engorged Member
    I'll test the butterfly pattern if you don't mind...

The Butterfly pattern sort of reminds me of the "Id" monster from Forbidden Planet, one of my all time favorite Sci-Fi movies.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Judd Pattern sneaky peak.

Its softened nicely. This is a variation of a W's pattern. I'm sure many similar things have been done before. But I think I'll call my version of it Butterflies.
    I gave a portion a buff on the wheel and it will look super yummy polished.
    I think this looks great. You figure out the handle yet?

Pesky

Thanks Pesky. Either nickel silver or ali-bronze spacer and butcap, wenge ferrule and your lovely wood. Subject to your approval. But handles will be next week Judd. Got the grinds to get done, then I'll confirm everyones handle materials and sizes.

Not any of this particular batch, but this was on the to do list.
    This is one of a pair of test knives I made for the purposes of testing core steels. They caught someone's eye, so these are now finished, just gluing up the handle on a blue core petty.
    This one is a 300mm Suji, Damascus san mai with 01 in the middle. Not as deep as my current Suji profiles but will hopefully be very useful to the new owner.
    The handle is Walnut with a maple ferrule from Burl source.
    Petty to follow shortly.

Hard to catch the san mai on camera after polishing but its nice and close and even, right to the tip.

I've cut allot of stuff with this knife already as it was a tester and I does perform very nicely.

Got some grinding done today to. Have some more forging to do tomorrow for the carving set then back to the grind stone.

Well got a bit held up on these this week but progress is being made. Got a couple of the feather pattern ones ground, took one home to sharpen and test it on dinner. The feather pattern Gyuto's will be quite sturdy, fully convex, but thin in the right places. About 3mm above the choil, 2mm centre and just under 1mm an inch behind the tip. This one performed very well prepping this evenings dinner. I like to give the blades a trail run on food before doing the final finish so I can make any adjustments.
    Grind shots.

Sharpened up to test on dinner

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

That looks very nice, Will.

All these now ground, From the right David's Gyuto and Suji, Aphex san mai Gyuto, and Sean Feather Gyuto. And the carving set on the end.

I had an accident with Judd's lovely Butterflies pattern during re-heat treating, (it had a bit of a kink after tempering) Unfortunately lost an inch off the end
    Bad day at the offfice.
    We have a new plan for Judd's Suji now and the broken tipped one I will finish as a 270mm which will be available.
    Tomorrow I am on Damascus and forging down the last feather blank for Matt's 270mm Gyuto
    Then I'll start hand finishing and thinking about handles.
    Thanks All

+ Reply to Thread