Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates from Metal land.

Not too bad... If it had been in the centre. No suji at all or no knife at all. So there is a short story to the knife....
    Have fun..

Well done Will. Looks really good!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Engorged Member
    So sad...

You really do amazing work, truly a master craftsman. The 300mm sujihiki you posted a couple days ago. Wow

Thanks Guys, true it could have been worse. It was a silly thing really. I saw the tip starting to curve just a touch after quenching. There are a few seconds where the metal is still soft after the quench, If your quick a little tweak can be made before it becomes fully hardened. I overstepped the window a little and.... ting.
    If I'm on the ball I can feel the difference in the metal while correcting with scroll tongs and know when to stop, but not that day.
    Oh well, we wouldn't want to do it if it was easy.

Look's like your making good progress on these, can't wait to see them all polished up. Very pleased with the profile on mine btw, seems like you really nailed it.

How did the feather go?

Matt

I haven't forged it out yet Matt, my neck has gone and ceased up on me, it does this sometimes and I can't do allot for a couple of days until it eases off. I'll be back on it next week.

My neck/upper back, is pretty bad just at the minute. Its a bit like a trapped nerve. I've had it before and it eases off eventually. At the moment I've just got to sit it out with lots of pain killers. I was supposed to help my Girlfriend move her stuff this weekend as she is moving in with me, but lifting anything is out of the question.
    Anyway sorry about that, I will probably be off for a few days maybe a week. I will go and see my back lady on monday.

Right some progress.
    Mat's monster Feather Gyuto, with the feathers going the other way.

And here it is shaped and ready for HT, next to my 270mm Masamoto. My ks is actually 280mm, Mat's is presently 290mm
    If thats too big let me know, seems a shame to make it smaller.

Judd, pattern development. This is after doing a billet of W's and forging to about 30mm square 50cm long.
    Notice the silver lines are finer for this version of the butterfly pattern, I think it will work better.

That bar was cut to 9 and will be restacked 3 x 3. Then folded a few times to get the compression right....... The rest of the plan is a secret, lets just say Judd knows how to set a challenge.

Michael, I've forged out your damascus clad/blue 250mm Gyuto too, its pickling clean overnight before a final work down in the hammer.