Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke White#2 or Gesshing Ginga?

Konosuke White#2 or Gesshing Ginga?

Hi, i'm currently looking at a 210 or 240mm gyoto (haven't decided whether i want a liiiittle bit smaller and more convenient or if i'm going all out)
    A laser.

It's come down to these two and i'm more comfortable on the 200 bucks side of the 250 bucks budget. Which one of these are the best cutters, which has the best HT and which has the best Fit & Finish?

What's the main differences, what i've read they're both great knives.

Places i'm thinking of buyin from is Jon (most likely) or perhaps JNS or CKTG.
    JNS is located in Denmark but that also means, scandinavian pricing. Which is awfully expensive.

get the konosuke.

These are very similar knives. There is no valid, functional reason for picking one over the other, as far as I can tell. It might just come down to what company you would like to support. I've taken a liking to Ashi, myself. They are a small company that does everything in house. I believe Konosuke is a much larger company that farms out work like Kikuichi, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    These are very similar knives. There is no valid, functional reason for picking one over the other, as far as I can tell. It might just come down to what company you would like to support. I've taken a liking to Ashi, myself. They are a small company that does everything in house. I believe Konosuke is a much larger company that farms out work like Kikuichi, etc.
    Both of them are forged anyways right?

If so.. it's mostly about rolling the dice.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post

A forged knife isn't better than a stock removal knife. Unless you just want to know that your knife was forged.

I believe both come from flat stock which is forged but not what you would imagine (hammer, etc). As for dice-rolling, there is some variation between blades but you're not going to get a bad knife. I have seen many blades from both companies and even minor defects are uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I believe both come from flat stock which is forged but not what you would imagine (hammer, etc). As for dice-rolling, there is some variation between blades but you're not going to get a bad knife. I have seen many blades from both companies and even minor defects are uncommon.
    I've just had better experances with forged blades than with stamped.

Hmm.. i would like so support Jon and Ashi but the Konosuke 240 can be had for 185 bucks at CKTG.. although i've heard Mark is a bad name around here (for personal reasons not business) but perhaps i can work something out with Jon!

Oh, no, not another "forged is better, right?" meme.

The answer is that neither is "forged", but it doesn't matter.

My pick is the Gesshin Ginga, but as Tinh said, there is no real reason to pick one over the other. I will say that the Konosuke has a largish gap between the neck and the handle, while the pics of the Gesshin on JKI seem to show that it is flush with no gap.

Rick

Neither of these are stamped blades. Your knife will not suck. The main difference will be that the stock thickness is just over 2 mm so these will be more flexible toward the handle side of the blade. Exactly how much flexibility is too much is personal preference. I don't have a problem with either.

If edge retention is a concern to you the white 2 in the konosuke doesn't hold up particularly well on poly boards. I've used two of them( which I love anyway ) for about a year and a half in a pro enviornment and don't get more than a few days out of an edge. Could be a factor of reactivity combined with lowish wear resistance, but regardless they are great cutters and fantastically easy to sharpen.