Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gyuto: Mighty vs Laser

Gyuto: Mighty vs Laser

What constitutes a "Mighty" gyuto and what constitues a "laser". How much differance is there between weight, thickness, grind, ect for a given blade lenght and what are the pro's and cons of each style.

Thoughts?

Frankly, this is very subjective but generally speaking, a 240 gyuto that has a maximum spine thickness of ~2 mm with full distal taper is a laser. Anything that is forged will generally not be a laser because people will look at the spine over the heel and and the thickness will exceed 3 mm.

I think its all in the "if you hold it, you will know".

I've always thought the term "mighty gyuto" is really dumb though. "Laser" too but not as bad as "mighty"!

I think tk59 definitions is quite accurate.

I have never been a fan of lasers, mostly because the thinner the knife, the more flex there is (at 2mm it will flex at the handle) and the more flimsy it feels in one's hand.

You can control weight of the knife with how much metal you leave on the spine (distal taper) and mid section (grind). If you grind it thin at and above the edge, a knife will perform really well and extra weight will be beneficial if you do a lot of cutting (a feedback I got from a pro kitchen).

For me a performing mighty gyuto would be 3mm over the heel, 2.1mm (or so) half way, 1.7mm 2" from the tip and about 1mm 1/2" from the tip ground to less than .005 at the edge and thin above it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If we are voting, I agree with tk and Marko.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    If we are voting, I agree with tk and Marko.
    Count me in on that vote.I don't care for a super thin and flexy blade.

I agree with what tk and Marko describe as a laser, and mighty gyuto.

I also don't care for a blade that's somewhat flexible. Stiff is good.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I don't find my lasers to have much flex, plus it would only be evident if one was using side to side torque, which wouldn't be involved in any form of proper gyuto technique.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I don't find my lasers to have much flex, plus it would only be evident if one was using side to side torque, which wouldn't be involved in any form of proper gyuto technique.
    I can't say I've had a problem with my "lasers," either. Sometimes, it is nice to have a heftier knife for slicing, though.

I agree with the guys, but I like thin sometimes and beef others.
    So far, the best balance I've had of this is my Misono Swede. However, a Carter gyuto at about 2mm with no flex is also damned nice.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com