Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WTB: (Don't Roll Your Eyes) Hattori KD

A 210 gyuto and 150 petty just went up.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/919633/

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I sent a PM but the price seems a bit high (for used), and I was really looking for a 240. The EE Hattori KD 210 is $200 more expensive than Koki lists. Is that normal for EE to boost the price, but lord knows when Koki last filled an order (or EE for that matter).

And btw Dave, sorry for being an a-hole on my last post. I think I had been drinking. Never drink and post.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Never drink and post.
    oh, pffft. half of my posts are the way they are because of drinking and posting, and that's the way i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I sent a PM but the price seems a bit high (for used), and I was really looking for a 240. The EE Hattori KD 210 is $200 more expensive than Koki lists. Is that normal for EE to boost the price, but lord knows when Koki last filled an order (or EE for that matter).

k.
    Not to be an ass but are you expecting to find one discounted because it is lightly used? It's a knife that is no longer made and I would expect the price to be higher then it was originally purchased for.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post
    Not to be an ass but are you expecting to find one discounted because it is lightly used? It's a knife that is no longer made and I would expect the price to be higher then it was originally purchased for.

-Chuck
    No, I am not looking to find something discounted and on the cheap, but a 210 is probably not the most highly sought after size and bumping it up from the EE price because of 'demand' is one thing, but he actually bumped it up to $1,700 (that is roughly a 70% increase over Koki's price). Plus he is an unknown seller.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

with a chipped blade!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I know how much he wanted for it because I also sent him a PT about it. The last the knives were selling from my knowledge was from EE for almost $1300. $1700 is a bit of a mark up but for a knife that is very rare and you cant buy anymore a 30% mark up really isn't that crazy. If I had bought one back in the day, I'd be hoping for the same kinda price now. I agree that I'd much prefer a 240 and sooner or later I want to get my hands on one. Sorry if my comments annoyed you at all.

-Chuck

I was always a bit captivated by these knives, but wonder how amazing they really are. Every PM that I've tried so far just hasn't lived up to the hype, they've all been good at getting very sharp(with a lot of work) but seem too lose their first 10-20% of sharpness as fast or faster than most carbons or even high grade semi-stainless. They do hang onto that 85-80% sharp edge for a crazy long time, but who here really settles for a "B" quality edge? They also don't touch easily up or bounce back to 90-95% sharp like many carbon's do.

I've heard claims that Hattori and his magic treatment of his magically formulated crowy-x results in the best PM blade of all, but I just can't help but feel a bit skeptical. Yeah, the FF looks amazing and they really are beautiful designed... and if you think of it that way, you are getting a very rare, custom-level knife, for price comparable with a rare, custom level knife from a top maker (don't know what Burke is currently up to, but I bet it's close, and I've seen damy or rare Carter's hit that mark or more).
    So, I don't think that the price is unreasonable, but curiosity is they only think that would ever make me consider it vs any of the other options.

Also, apparently "blwchef" on KF also has one. However, he didn't really include much detail in his review other than he really loves it... but a PM never hurts.
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/760457/ (it's near the top of the list).

also, this post needs more pictures:

Id rahter go Devin Thomas or Bill Burke.

The one thing I will add is that even though the KDs are rare, I am not totally convinced they are going to hold their price. The allure of PM steels seems to be less and there are way more knifemakers out there now that can produce great knives at a comparable or lower price. When someone asks for $1,700 they are only really speaking to knifeknuts and we all do the calculation in our heads and ask ourselves: Would we rather get a Devin, Burke, Rodrigue or another maker on this forum to produce something? And since the KDs have become rare, a lot of them have become drawer queens, and frankly few people talk about actually using them any more.

k.