• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: (Don't Roll Your Eyes) Hattori KD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of years ago someone advertised on KF (I think) that they wanted to buy a Hattori KD and it worked, so I am trying it. I am sure someone out there has some CowryX just lying in a drawer not being used.

k.

:rofl2: Hey, I didn't roll my eyes.

I keep my Cowry-X next to my kryptonite knife. ;) Just kidding. Seriously, good luck! I hope you find one to get for yourself. That would be pretty cool :)

I also know what thread you're talking about but know a little bit more about it. The deal fell through. Both sides balked. Said KD is still out there living on the fence.

The problem is that Hattori, unfortunately, doesn't have long on this earth. No more KDs are being made. So to find one for $1200 isn't going to happen and those that have one are either keeping them for a while to see if price skyrockets. Or they're keeping them because they're just badass.

The problem is that Hattori, unfortunately, doesn't have long on this earth. No more KDs are being made. So to find one for $1200 isn't going to happen and those that have one are either keeping them for a while to see if price skyrockets. Or they're keeping them because they're just badass.

Yeah, I can see that, but life changes too (for everyone). Just sent a PM to the guy from KF. He probably won't respond, but if he does and the sale goes through, one day I will probably sell the knife and pass it along to another eager knife knut. I'm getting to that point. Try things, keep some, share with friends, then sell....start all over again.

k.

EDIT: I notice you are in the AO as the KD. Have you seen it?

Good luck, i managed to snag Salty's gyuto when he put it up for sale a while back. Love that knife, doubt i'll keep it forever, but i know if i pass it on i won't see one again. That being said, for the money its comparable to a custom damascus from Devin, Burke, Rader, Catcheside etc.
When i was chatting to the sharpeners in the knife shop in town they said theyve seem quite a few of them and hate sharpening them, IMO they aren't great at their job they had a couple of badly dished king stones and a Tormek on the side, but i could ask if they'll let me put up a wanted sign? The owner will probably have never seen it properly sharp and won't know much about it other than it was expensive, so may work.....

...but i could ask if they'll let me put up a wanted sign? The owner will probably have never seen it properly sharp and won't know much about it other than it was expensive, so may work.....

If you are willing, sure. It would be interesting to see if something turns up.

k.

I'm not a believer of hype, in fact I'm somewhat skeptical of most things, however I believe in those KD's to be exactly what they're made out to be. From my perspective they're extremely easy to get fantastic edges on (even in the hands of a new sharpener) and by every account I've heard such glowing praise of edge retention that it just has to be (somewhat) true. Add in that they feel good in the hand and look fantastic and this just makes for a well rounded package. Now are they worth the $$? I don't know about that but they sure are very nice factory knives.

I know in Japan you could still get them in Kappabashi for around $2.6K for a gyuto if you wanted... But for that money I passed. I've been waiting on a KD for ever.

SH!!!!T.........I knew I should of held on to my KD a bit longer:beatinghead: There is always ZDP189!

I'm not a believer of hype, in fact I'm somewhat skeptical of most things, however I believe in those KD's to be exactly what they're made out to be. From my perspective they're extremely easy to get fantastic edges on (even in the hands of a new sharpener) and by every account I've heard such glowing praise of edge retention that it just has to be (somewhat) true. Add in that they feel good in the hand and look fantastic and this just makes for a well rounded package. Now are they worth the $$? I don't know about that but they sure are very nice factory knives.

I know that words hurt but here are some of Dave's posts on KD (sorry Dave for the reposts). Forums are history.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/1047-Hattori-KD?p=13384&viewfull=1#post13384

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2704-Which-stainless-can-attain-the-highest-level-of-sharpness?p=40922&viewfull=1#post40922

k.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I sent a PM but the price seems a bit high (for used), and I was really looking for a 240. The EE Hattori KD 210 is $200 more expensive than Koki lists. Is that normal for EE to boost the price, but lord knows when Koki last filled an order (or EE for that matter).

And btw Dave, sorry for being an a-hole on my last post. I think I had been drinking. Never drink and post.

k.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I sent a PM but the price seems a bit high (for used), and I was really looking for a 240. The EE Hattori KD 210 is $200 more expensive than Koki lists. Is that normal for EE to boost the price, but lord knows when Koki last filled an order (or EE for that matter).

k.

Not to be an ass but are you expecting to find one discounted because it is lightly used? It's a knife that is no longer made and I would expect the price to be higher then it was originally purchased for.

-Chuck

Not to be an ass but are you expecting to find one discounted because it is lightly used? It's a knife that is no longer made and I would expect the price to be higher then it was originally purchased for.

-Chuck

No, I am not looking to find something discounted and on the cheap, but a 210 is probably not the most highly sought after size and bumping it up from the EE price because of 'demand' is one thing, but he actually bumped it up to $1,700 (that is roughly a 70% increase over Koki's price). Plus he is an unknown seller.

k.

I know how much he wanted for it because I also sent him a PT about it. The last the knives were selling from my knowledge was from EE for almost $1300. $1700 is a bit of a mark up but for a knife that is very rare and you cant buy anymore a 30% mark up really isn't that crazy. If I had bought one back in the day, I'd be hoping for the same kinda price now. I agree that I'd much prefer a 240 and sooner or later I want to get my hands on one. Sorry if my comments annoyed you at all.

-Chuck

I was always a bit captivated by these knives, but wonder how amazing they really are. Every PM that I've tried so far just hasn't lived up to the hype, they've all been good at getting very sharp(with a lot of work) but seem too lose their first 10-20% of sharpness as fast or faster than most carbons or even high grade semi-stainless. They do hang onto that 85-80% sharp edge for a crazy long time, but who here really settles for a "B" quality edge? They also don't touch easily up or bounce back to 90-95% sharp like many carbon's do.

I've heard claims that Hattori and his magic treatment of his magically formulated crowy-x results in the best PM blade of all, but I just can't help but feel a bit skeptical. Yeah, the FF looks amazing and they really are beautiful designed... and if you think of it that way, you are getting a very rare, custom-level knife, for price comparable with a rare, custom level knife from a top maker (don't know what Burke is currently up to, but I bet it's close, and I've seen damy or rare Carter's hit that mark or more).
So, I don't think that the price is unreasonable, but curiosity is they only think that would ever make me consider it vs any of the other options.

Also, apparently "blwchef" on KF also has one. However, he didn't really include much detail in his review other than he really loves it... but a PM never hurts.
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/760457/ (it's near the top of the list).

also, this post needs more pictures:
HattoriKD001.jpg

The one thing I will add is that even though the KDs are rare, I am not totally convinced they are going to hold their price. The allure of PM steels seems to be less and there are way more knifemakers out there now that can produce great knives at a comparable or lower price. When someone asks for $1,700 they are only really speaking to knifeknuts and we all do the calculation in our heads and ask ourselves: Would we rather get a Devin, Burke, Rodrigue or another maker on this forum to produce something? And since the KDs have become rare, a lot of them have become drawer queens, and frankly few people talk about actually using them any more.

k.

Back