Quantcast
My First Japanese knife - Konosuke fujiyama gyuto
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Japanese knife - Konosuke fujiyama gyuto

My First Japanese knife - Konosuke fujiyama gyuto

Hi, I just thought i'd share a few pictures of my new knife with fellow new comers to the greatness of Japanese knives. I received my 240mm Konosuke fujiyama gyuto a week ago from CKTG. Its made out of white #2 and I must say this thing if a work of art and a pretty sharp knife. Not used it much but its developed a pretty cool patina, it turned blue after I cut some raw chicken yesterday. Now that I've used a carbon a steel knife I think I'll be purchasing similar in future, most likely white #2 from konosuke, anyway enjoy these:

Choil shot, very polished:

Next to my Miyabi kaizen 210mm

Nice. I have butternut squash on my counter all the time, haha. You really need to get a new board though. Bamboo is probably the best "wood" to use if you want to rapidly deteriorate your edge.

Congrats on the new acquisition, and welcome to forum.

Congrats on the knife and welcome to the forum. Where in Glos are you?

Hey, been lurking around this forum for months just looking at all the usefull advice etc. tk59 as I'm quite new to this I wonder if you can enlighten me about bambo chopping boards as I never knew they were bad for the edge, I will eventually pick up a nice end grain board sometime. As for the squash I was using it for a stew, first time I've cut one up, didn't use the konosuke as I realised how tough they are. Thanks for the welcome, Tb I live in a little village between Gloucester centre and Newent, good to see a fellow Brit here.

Nice knife.
    I had the exact same gyuto hanging out in my kitchen for a while. To be honest, it was one of the best performers I've used. Great first buy!
    As for bamboo boards, the glue can be a killer on the edges. I have both a nice end-grain and a little edge-grain "sandwich" board, as I call it. A nice edge grain will be much kinder to your edges (I really like them and so do a few others), but and end-grain is like cutting in a kitten...wait, no...you know what I mean
    Oh yeah, check out WillC's stuff. He's in UK and very talented from the looks of it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    Hey, been lurking around this forum for months just looking at all the usefull advice etc. tk59 as I'm quite new to this I wonder if you can enlighten me about bambo chopping boards as I never knew they were bad for the edge, I will eventually pick up a nice end grain board sometime. As for the squash I was using it for a stew, first time I've cut one up, didn't use the konosuke as I realised how tough they are. Thanks for the welcome, Tb I live in a little village between Gloucester centre and Newent, good to see a fellow Brit here.
    They use so much glue in the bamboo boards it makes it pretty rough on your edge.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Hey thanks for telling me, I never knew. Shame, I kinda liked it, this is going to be a hard one to explain to the gf, why I need to spend money on another board, she nearly killed me for the amount I have spent on this knife lol

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I live in a little village between Gloucester centre and Newent, good to see a fellow Brit here.
    ah cool, I grew up in longlevens and had friends out in Tibberton which is in the Newent direction.
    For cutting boards ask WillC where he got his slab of applewood from, he's up in Hereford and it makes a decent cutting board, think it was quite reasonable too.

Sorry for the ignorance, but is the Fujiyama thicker than the standard white 2 gyuto ? Or is the same but with a diferent profile?