Quantcast
Handle order update - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Handle order update

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    How is your new shop assistant working out Stefan?
    He is doing o.k., still needs to learn a lot but we will get there. He mostly does preparation work right now, and I will continue doing the steps that give the handles my personal note. To be honest, the work he takes off my hands is only one part. At least as important is that he forces me to go to the shop 3 times per week and work consistently. We did make some good progress already, I just glued together 15 more handles today and only stopped at that because my back was killing me...

Stefan

Glad to hear it (except the part about your back killing you). It would take me 15 years to make 15 handles.

Dang, back pain is back with reinforcement today. I am old.... Actually, I am pretty sure it's from the awkward position on the drill press where I spent a lot of time recently. Gotta exercise more, as soon as I can move again.

Stefan

Trying to get somewhere in the shop. Last weekend I had some great help from our very own forum member Obtuse who came over to check out the shop and 'apprentice' for a bit - mahalo nui loa! Since my student helper deserted me again, this was great and I hope he will come a few more times - to help out and make a few handles for himself.

Anyway, my back started killing me after buffing for a few hours today, so here are only some group pictures; I will try to get individual ones when they are completely done. Actually, after seeing the latest handles by Harald and Marco I was thinking about tossing them away and retiring, but since they are as good as done, I might as well show them... All these handles have been buffed once, they will get one more buffing and then some rubbing with a cotton cloth. They should all be ready to be shipped out on Monday at the latest. Of course, some handles have been ordered so long ago, the guys may have forgotten about them...

1) Blackwood, spalted maple, horn ferrule (Rio)
    2) Koa, marbled horn (Rio)
    3) Ironwood, zebrawood, ns spacer (Pesky)
    4) Quilted maple, horn (Jeff)
    5) Quilted maple, black palm (Jeff)
    6) Amboyna burl, horn, ns spacer (Yash)

7) Buckeye burl, marbled horn (Karl)
    8) Koa, signature ferrule, horn spacer (Bob C.)
    9) Macassar ebony,marbled horn, copper spacer (Brian)
    10) ironwood, spalted kukui nut ferrule (Josh)
    11) Black mulga, horn, ns spacer, mammoth bark end cap (mattrud)
    12) koa, blackwood ferrule (JC R.)

13) spalted Hawaiian signature, 'whitebait' kauri ferrule (Martin D.)

Some more to follow shortly. There will also be approx. 18-20 'extras' within the next 2-3 weeks that are up for grabs. Hope you like'em...

Stefan

Sorry you are in pain hope you feel better. You seem hard on yourself. These handles are stunning. Amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Sorry you are in pain hope you feel better. You seem hard on yourself. These handles are stunning. Amazing work!
    Thanks for the concern, not as bad as it sounds. I use my drill press as a buffer and stand in an awkward and totally unergonomic posture when I buff, that just hurts after a while. I usually stop when it hurts - or when the buffing wheel grabs a handle and smashes it into the wall which is a clear sign that my concentration is waning. Today they both happened around the same time

Stefan

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    sounds scarry.

They look great! I'm very grateful for this opportunity and I'm glad I could help you out

Some gorgeous handles here Stefan...

Those quilted maple handles are sick