just thought I'd start a new thread where I keep posting updates about the pile of custom orders that had backed up in my shop and other order-related news.
1) All handles that had been paid in the last 6 weeks and that needed a little touch-up, finishing etc. are now finished and I plan to send them all out on Monday - Thanks again!
2) I found a young gentleman who is helping me out in the shop for 10h/week. He still needs to learn a lot, but he promised me that he would stay until mid-May, and the main benefit is that with him working regular hours, I need to get my a$$ into the shop on regular hours also. I hope that this will finally move things forward, and we have had a good start already.
3) One of the main hold-ups for quite a few handle orders was that I had trouble with drilling the metal pieces. I now have received a lot of good advice and some more suitable drills - tomorrow will be the day of truth. Assuming that this works out as planned, all the handles with metal spacers will be started in the very near future also.
4) I am keeping my order sheet reasonably up to date. You can see where I am with your handle at any given time. The sheet is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CNvc0_MG#gid=0 . Please keep in mind that I try to go in the sequence of ordering, but sometimes it is more efficient to do a few similar ones together or skip handles because I am waiting for tools or materials for those. There are also a few that I just squeezed in somewhere but the order had been placed much earlier (like Jim or Kentucky Chef, for example).
5) For several of you, especially the ones later in the list, we still need to narrow down details or I will have to double check to make sure I got it right. If you are one of those, please feel free to contact me if you see this, but I will also try in the next days to send an email or a PM.
6) If anybody of you after waiting all this time has changed his/her mind, I fully understand. If you want to cancel any orders, just please let me know.
7) Last but not least, it looks pretty gloomy on the job front, and it is getting more and more likely that I will have to leave Hawaii in July. The bad news is that I have no idea, yet, where I will end up and whether I will have an opportunity to continue making handles. The small good news is that between mid May and the end of June I will have more time on my hands and may get in a few weeks of full-time woodworking - if there is any demand for handles. So, if you had any plans of ordering a handle from me, please contact me after Feb 19 about details. By then I hope to have all of the current orders glued together, and I will have more time to think about new ones with you - without getting all confused (I do get confused very easily...). I will do my best to only take as many orders as I can realistically handle until the end of June, but if I have to relocate, I could probably also use the cash flow...
That's it for now. If you have something on order, please check the order list or this thread for occasional updates. And most of all, thanks to all of you again for your patience!