Stefan's Handle order update

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

just thought I'd start a new thread where I keep posting updates about the pile of custom orders that had backed up in my shop and other order-related news.

1) All handles that had been paid in the last 6 weeks and that needed a little touch-up, finishing etc. are now finished and I plan to send them all out on Monday - Thanks again!

2) I found a young gentleman who is helping me out in the shop for 10h/week. He still needs to learn a lot, but he promised me that he would stay until mid-May, and the main benefit is that with him working regular hours, I need to get my a$$ into the shop on regular hours also. I hope that this will finally move things forward, and we have had a good start already.

3) One of the main hold-ups for quite a few handle orders was that I had trouble with drilling the metal pieces. I now have received a lot of good advice and some more suitable drills - tomorrow will be the day of truth. Assuming that this works out as planned, all the handles with metal spacers will be started in the very near future also.

4) I am keeping my order sheet reasonably up to date. You can see where I am with your handle at any given time. The sheet is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tYUJ3eEpRZnBueHc&hl=en&authkey=CNvc0_MG#gid=0 . Please keep in mind that I try to go in the sequence of ordering, but sometimes it is more efficient to do a few similar ones together or skip handles because I am waiting for tools or materials for those. There are also a few that I just squeezed in somewhere but the order had been placed much earlier (like Jim or Kentucky Chef, for example).

5) For several of you, especially the ones later in the list, we still need to narrow down details or I will have to double check to make sure I got it right. If you are one of those, please feel free to contact me if you see this, but I will also try in the next days to send an email or a PM.

6) If anybody of you after waiting all this time has changed his/her mind, I fully understand. If you want to cancel any orders, just please let me know.

7) Last but not least, it looks pretty gloomy on the job front, and it is getting more and more likely that I will have to leave Hawaii in July. The bad news is that I have no idea, yet, where I will end up and whether I will have an opportunity to continue making handles. The small good news is that between mid May and the end of June I will have more time on my hands and may get in a few weeks of full-time woodworking - if there is any demand for handles. So, if you had any plans of ordering a handle from me, please contact me after Feb 19 about details. By then I hope to have all of the current orders glued together, and I will have more time to think about new ones with you - without getting all confused (I do get confused very easily...). I will do my best to only take as many orders as I can realistically handle until the end of June, but if I have to relocate, I could probably also use the cash flow...

That's it for now. If you have something on order, please check the order list or this thread for occasional updates. And most of all, thanks to all of you again for your patience!

Stefan

I'm lucky number three. My Kono is gonna look badass when it's all ebonyed out. Looking forward to seeing your work Stefan.

Thanks Brian, your copper piece is predrilled already, but then I just smoked a few drills and kept postponing the metal pieces because they annoyed the heck out of me... If all goes as planned, it will be glued together on Sunday and I will start with the rough shaping on Monday.

Stefan

I don't see the Dave custom #6.

I really keep hoping that your next post says you found the career opportunity of a lifetime...I wish you continued luck in your search and hope that you find a position on your little paradise island. If not maybe California will suffice.

I'm starting to see handles rolling in for mounting, in fact, I did three today. :)

I didn't send out individual emails, but all recently paid handles are in the mail and should arrive this week. I still have the ones here that go directly to Dave, but they should go out on Wednesday.

Stefan

How is your new shop assistant working out Stefan?

He is doing o.k., still needs to learn a lot but we will get there. He mostly does preparation work right now, and I will continue doing the steps that give the handles my personal note. To be honest, the work he takes off my hands is only one part. At least as important is that he forces me to go to the shop 3 times per week and work consistently. We did make some good progress already, I just glued together 15 more handles today and only stopped at that because my back was killing me...

Stefan

Glad to hear it (except the part about your back killing you). It would take me 15 years to make 15 handles.

Dang, back pain is back with reinforcement today. I am old.... Actually, I am pretty sure it's from the awkward position on the drill press where I spent a lot of time recently. Gotta exercise more, as soon as I can move again.

Stefan

Trying to get somewhere in the shop. Last weekend I had some great help from our very own forum member Obtuse who came over to check out the shop and 'apprentice' for a bit - mahalo nui loa! ;) Since my student helper deserted me again, this was great and I hope he will come a few more times - to help out and make a few handles for himself.

Anyway, my back started killing me after buffing for a few hours today, so here are only some group pictures; I will try to get individual ones when they are completely done. Actually, after seeing the latest handles by Harald and Marco I was thinking about tossing them away and retiring, but since they are as good as done, I might as well show them... All these handles have been buffed once, they will get one more buffing and then some rubbing with a cotton cloth. They should all be ready to be shipped out on Monday at the latest. Of course, some handles have been ordered so long ago, the guys may have forgotten about them...

1) Blackwood, spalted maple, horn ferrule (Rio)
2) Koa, marbled horn (Rio)
3) Ironwood, zebrawood, ns spacer (Pesky)
4) Quilted maple, horn (Jeff)
5) Quilted maple, black palm (Jeff)
6) Amboyna burl, horn, ns spacer (Yash)

7) Buckeye burl, marbled horn (Karl)
8) Koa, signature ferrule, horn spacer (Bob C.)
9) Macassar ebony,marbled horn, copper spacer (Brian)
10) ironwood, spalted kukui nut ferrule (Josh)
11) Black mulga, horn, ns spacer, mammoth bark end cap (mattrud)
12) koa, blackwood ferrule (JC R.)

13) spalted Hawaiian signature, 'whitebait' kauri ferrule (Martin D.)

Some more to follow shortly. There will also be approx. 18-20 'extras' within the next 2-3 weeks that are up for grabs. Hope you like'em...

Stefan

Sorry you are in pain hope you feel better. You seem hard on yourself. These handles are stunning. Amazing work!

Sorry you are in pain hope you feel better. You seem hard on yourself. These handles are stunning. Amazing work!

Thanks for the concern, not as bad as it sounds. I use my drill press as a buffer and stand in an awkward and totally unergonomic posture when I buff, that just hurts after a while. I usually stop when it hurts - or when the buffing wheel grabs a handle and smashes it into the wall which is a clear sign that my concentration is waning. Today they both happened around the same time ;)

Stefan

They look great! :thumbsup: I'm very grateful for this opportunity and I'm glad I could help you out :)

I have to second that, the quilted maple is my favorite of that bunch.

Artistry and craftsmanship on display here.

Wonderful stuff!

Thanks guys, a while ago I was trying to sell some of that maple but nobody was interested. I guess I just keep it and make a few more handles from it. :)

Stefan

Nice woods get much more attention once you've worked your magic on them ;)

My favorites from this lineup are #6 (amboyna) and #8 (koa w white ferrule). Very nice as always, Stefan!

They all look great but #6 is my favorite.

#6 is my favorite handle......and it's mine..HAHAHAHAHAHAH...thanks so much stefan. it is beautiful.

Back