Quantcast
A few shots of the Yoshikane SLD 240 mm Kiritsuke
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few shots of the Yoshikane SLD 240 mm Kiritsuke

A few shots of the Yoshikane SLD 240 mm Kiritsuke

Used the kiritsuke this morning. Nice cutter/chopper Maybe a little to bling bling for my taste so I might let it go

Enjoy the pics

Sweet looking knife. Is the last pic a top down perspective from the spine?

Very good looking knife! shame you spend all that money and want to let it go.

I didn't notice anything 'blingy' about that knife. I had a suji from the same series.

Geometry is good for proteins, but will wedge in everything else, the only drawback.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I did actually test it in potatoes and squash and it did not wedge in any of them.
    I also think he made mine bit thiner behind the edge

The geometry on that knife looks similar to my Carter "heavy duty" suji. Its thick but if you adjust your technique a bit, it won't wedge in hard veg like onions and potatoes.

Sweet knife!

My point here is that with that type forging (knife is hammered into shape before quenching) and grind (sword grind), you will get wedging. Depending how thick the spine is and how much a distal taper there is (in this case a good degree of a distal taper), you will get more or less wedging, but there will be wedging. Cut through the apple or a squash to see it. this type of grind is suited very well for cutting raw proteins. Do you agree, Peter?

I am not saying it it is good or bad, just pointing the obvious - it's in the geometry shot (one before the last picture).

M

PS: Heiji and Yoshikane knives have similar geometry. Not surprising as Heiji studied under Yoshikane.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The grind also looks somewhat similar to my Heiji. I'm going to post a picture in a second that'll show how awesome-ly unwedg-y knives like that can be.

Edit: pics should be up now. That's a blue potato. I did nothing to arrange the potato that way, that's just how it stayed when it was cut.

I still can't get over the kuro-uchi / damascus finish. Does anyone know that that is accomplished? Does the nickel/highlight steel just not take a forge scale the way that the rest of the cladding does? Or is it just an extreme etch and not a true kuro-uchi finish?

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    Very good looking knife! shame you spend all that money and want to let it go.
    I'm all good If it does not trade/sell I'll just start using it for real - no harm done!

As Maxim, I didn't experience any wedging. I cut 1 onion and 1 carrot - maybe I should test some more ...