Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of metal buildup on the stones?

Question Lots of metal buildup on the stones?

Hi all,

I have something happening and I'm not sure if it's normal or not. Nearly as soon as I start sharpening (from a clean, soaked, and lapped stone) ... the entire stone turns gray (I assume from the metal of the knife) and quickly builds up so thick that I need to wipe it off the knife like "mud." My quick, this happens within a minute from starting. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Oh, and the knifes I'm using are two different Misono UX10s.

tx!
    adam

What stone are you using? How hard are you pressing on the stone? Do you get that mud with every knife, or one knife in particular?

Sounds like my 1k SS. I'd say it's pretty normal for a soft stone. What stone(s)?

It happens with all three of my stones:
    Beston 500x
    Bester 1200x
    Suehiro Rika 5000x

I may or may not be pressing hard ... I'm new to this so I'm not really sure how hard I'm supposed to be pushing. But it seems to be A LOT of build-up, and as I said, in a really short time. The Bester 1200x which is white will turn solid gray within a minute, and the knife will have a 3D thickness on it, which I wipe off with a towel.

tx!
    adam

What knife/knives are you sharpening?

Like tk59 says, sounds fairly normal. Are you raising a burr? How are your edges performing after you've finished sharpening?

I guess a lot of mud means different things to different people but yes, all of these stones make mud although I would say they are fairly average in that respect. You should be happy that it's nice n gray. Be careful with the Beston, unless you damage your edges a lot, you really don't need to spend a ton of time on that one. Also, be generous with the water. If the mud gets too dry it will be a pita and sound like hell. Last, it's not a bad thing to rinse and inspect your edges often.

Also, mud is your friend! Don't wipe it off so much. Once you build up a little mud, if it's thick enough that it's causing you problems, add a few drops of water to the stone with your fingers. This will thin out the mud and keep things even. Do rinse or wipe your knife to check your work and progress, but don't wash the stone off unless you're moving on or otherwise have to do some stone maintenance (lapping for flatness, lapping because the stone has glazed over, etc.).

I use the Beston because I just started, and the knife blades are dull as a round marble ... so I figured I needed to in this case. I assume once I sharpen more frequently, then I can start with the 1200x ... I think that's what you're saying?

tx!
    adam