Quantcast
NEW ivory!!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NEW ivory!!

NEW ivory!!

Last week heck, this last month really! was a BLUR.. working and grinding and forging.. It went by VERY fast!! Its a KNIFE LIFE!!!

I received a package from my buddy in Alaska. Some Mammoth ivory pieces. about 4 lbs total. I love working with this stuff! and have set these on the shelf to acclimate to my shop and the humidity and stuff in my area of the world.. I know they dont look like much now.. But just wait till there cleaned up and on a knife!!

I just wanted to share and post a quick Photo. I know they dont look like much now. But the brown piece is what I call chocolate ivory and the rich color runs throughout the ivory. Allowing you to sand and shape it more them most ivory's without effecting color and finish. Also reveling more grain and that is always a bonus!! The blueish piece. is going to be nice when sanded. It looks like it will be more brown then blue. But will have hints of blue poppin out from underneath the browns. Cool stuff! And the largest piece. Well its nice and solid and Im hopping to get 2 knife blocks of pure and solid white for Wa handles or hidden tang knives.

These will be available for custom orders very soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	STUFF!!!!! 022.JPG‎
Views:	52
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	4211   Click image for larger version

Name:	STUFF!!!!! 021.JPG‎
Views:	43
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	4212  

Click image for larger version

Name:	STUFF!!!!! 013.JPG‎
Views:	42
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	4213  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Very cool, Randy. Thanks for posting pics.

Cool!! Are you going to have it stabilized??

I look forward to seeing what you do with these...

I vote wa handle...

Thanks guys yep. Im sure these will make some good knife handles and Im even thinking of doing a short run of mammoth ivory ear rings. and pendents.

When I cut these pieces into scales there is always small pieces that I collect in a "scrap" box. I have some very nice small pieces that I think if shaped and used properly would result in some VERY cool jewelry!

Taz. Most of the mammoth ivory I use is naturally stable. Its very dense and would not take stabilization. There are pieces I have purchased that are what I would call to far gone rotted, deteriorated etc. . I guess these pieces "could" be stabilized.. but I do not use them. They get added to my ivory graveyard. lol

The "graveyard" and "scrap" box are 2 different things! lol just to be clear.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Ivory heart shaped key chains? Valentines day is coming up I could get a couple of these done and ready for delivery this week! Any takers?

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Those look awesome Randy! I can see them now... works of art in the making!

+ Reply to Thread