Quantcast
Takagi love/hate: when will it be thin enough?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Takagi love/hate: when will it be thin enough?

Takagi love/hate: when will it be thin enough?

I have a 240 MM Takagi honyaki gyuto from Japanese Wood Worker. I've posted elsewhere about my love for this knife. Now I'll post about my frustration with it. Here's where I stand.

I bought it used on FF w/ "considerable work already done on it." I've put in about nine hours thinning on a 400 grit stone. The knife is sharp, yes. But cutting an apple or potato, well, I might as well use a splitting maul because this thing mostly wedges.

So I'm wondering, how much do I need to thin this knife to get it to cut, not wedge? I don't expect a laser when it's done, but I do expect it to cut and not wedge.

From the edge up, these are the measurements, averaged from measures taken at heel, mid-blade and 2" from tip:

1/8" up from edge: .040"
    1/4" up from edge: .060"
    1/2" up from edge: .075"
    Spine from handle to 2.5" from tip: .080"

I'm tired of wandering thru the wilderness and look to find a road out soon. What are reasonable goals, expectations, and processes to consider here. FWIW: I'm not going to buy a sander, but might send it out to be sanded thin if that's the best option.

seems like that knife is pretty hefty... The spine seems ok but the other measurements are just bleh... I would recommend not taking it to a sander and to keep working on it with a lower grit stone until it cuts to your preference. DMTs would be a good option here... like xxc dmt.

Yup. Pretty thick still. Post some pictures.

I would love to post pictures, but my 4 year old camera died yesterday. Did you know that $400 digital cameras are disposable and have an expected life of less than 5 years? Who'da thunk?

Anyway, do you guys have some rough guidelines for what I'm shooting for in terms of thinness (and where I should measure that)?

I must have been lucky because mine was not thick at all,just UGLY.With a little clean up and fine tuning on the belt grinder and she is a great knife.

your issues discussed here... http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...t=convex+grind

rgds

d

Phip,

That's far from being done...
    Mine has about 60 hours on stone....

The measurment of what you have provided on mimne is as follows

1/8 inch 0.020
    1/4 inch 0.027
    1/2 inch 0.042

here's the photo of it...

Quote Originally Posted by jannend View Post
    Phip,

That's far from being done...
    Mine has about 60 hours on stone....

The measurment of what you have provided on mimne is as follows

1/8 inch 0.020
    1/4 inch 0.027
    1/2 inch 0.042

here's the photo of it...

60 hours.......YIKES!!!! Phip I would send it to dave for a tune up and you will love the blade when he is done.

Well, I just sent off for a DMT XXC, so I guess I'm in for the long haul. Besides, I shudder to think what 60 hours of Dave's time would cost. Much cheaper to get a Masamoto honyaki. I do have a handle on order from Stefan for this knife, though, so I'm motivated to make it work!

+ Reply to Thread