How best to round out the spine of a carbonext gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
Hi, I bought this as my sharpening testbed, to run amok with it and try different approaches. It has been fairly abused up the sides due to unsteady angles when I try a new stroke but it takes a good edge and holds it.

So the thing that annoys me to death is how sharp the spine of the knife is. Anybody wants to chip in with advice on how to quickly round it out in the most efficient way? Are there any watchouts?

I have a DMT XXC and a Chosera 400 as rough stones. Also some random rubbish Kai stone from the past.

I'd not recommend stones. Instead get some 220 wet/dry and cut it into 1" strips. Use a "shoeshine" motion on the spine. For the safest results, put the knife in a padded vise.

For the quickest route use sandpaper on a block to break down the sharp corner and to add in some "bevels" instead. Then follow with Rick's advice above using the shoeshine method. Use coarse paper up until it's shaped correctly and then use fine grit to polish pretty.

+1 on beveling it first. The process of wearing down the corners will abrade the middle of the spine if you do a "shoeshine motion" from the start, and you will end up with a dip in the spine. IMO it's best to cut some flat facets into it, and then blend them together and polish it up.

If you are doing this by hand, and it's purely a functional thing, you can skip the left side of the spine, since your finger doesn't hit that side anyways.

+1 on the above. If you back your strips of w+d with masking tape they're less likely to snag and rip so they last a bit longer

Back