Quantcast
Trials and tribulations with O1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trials and tribulations with O1

Trials and tribulations with O1

My last few O1 blades have developed a bit of a curve after heat treat. The first time this happened I was able to grind them straight. The one I just did I clamped straight in the temper stage, but there was still a bit of curve so I tried to bend it back and the tang snapped off!
    I have a light weight jig that holds the blade vertical in the oven and heat soak at 1475º f. for 5 minutes, quench in fast quench oil followed by 30 minutes at -100º f., then 2 2 hour tempers at 340º. This routine has been working really well until now.
    The steel is from Starrett through McMaster-Carr.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Are you doing any pre-HT grinding?

Nope. Just doing the profile.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Spike, I've generally forged the taper in on my blades but I always heat cycle before heat treatment. Would still do this on ground annealed stock out of suspicion.
    I will heat to critical and straighten. Heat just beyond critical and check for straightness as it cools, re-straighten as necessary. I will do this 3 times minimum or until it stays dead straight on cooling. Then go to the final heat and soak at critical for the quench. I rarely get one that still wants to kink after that. I use a jig on tempering to straighten as a last resort but not on heat treatment. In my experience with distortion clamping while heating and cooling is best avoided. At least until it becomes necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    ......but I always heat cycle before heat treatment. Would still do this on ground annealed stock out of suspicion.
    I will heat to critical and straighten. Heat just beyond critical and check for straightness as it cools, re-straighten as necessary. I will do this 3 times minimum or until it stays dead straight on cooling. Then go to the final heat and soak at critical for the quench. I rarely get one that still wants to kink after that.

My heat treat company does this for my O-1 blanks each and every time just to avoid issues after the final HT. They need/use 3 cycles for O-1

Thanks guys, and thanks to Marko for his pm which I cannot reply to as his mailbox is full!
    Spike C
    Pirsig

One thing i can suggest is fast oil is not good for O-1. You need a slow oil for it, you might be creating stress fractures in the matrix by creating undue stress in the blade when using fast oil. O-1 quenches about as slow as it gets...Almost air hardening lol. Maybe Del will jump in, he uses primarily O-1.

Also, you should be soaking O1 for more like 20 minutes, not 5.

I got my procedure from Devin. He uses a lot of O1, and I trust his advice.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

That piece of advice did not come from me but from Kevin Cashen. I did not intend to imply any kind of personal expertise with O1.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I got my procedure from Devin. He uses a lot of O1, and I trust his advice.

+ Reply to Thread