I want a custom kitchen knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xx22jboat

Reaction score
Hi,

I have plenty of custom knives that I collect but don't use. Now I'd like a couple of kitchen knives that I can use and sharpen myself - using standard electric knife sharpeners.

What custom knife makers make knives that can be sharpened using normal appliances?

Thanks

:scratchhead:nobody here! ever!:bat::slaphead::fishslap::headbonk::crazy::poke1::censored::disdain::sh*thitsfans::nutskick::pullhair::spankarse::nono:

Oh Yeah, welcome!

All double beveled knives can be sharpened on electric sharpeners, lol. The problems with them are that they eat up your knife quickly and the bevels they are set at, do not take advantage of superior steel.

Hi,

I have plenty of custom knives that I collect but don't use. Now I'd like a couple of kitchen knives that I can use and sharpen myself - using standard electric knife sharpeners.

What custom knife makers make knives that can be sharpened using normal appliances?

Thanks

Welcome aboard!
All of the knives made by makers here can be sharpened by electric sharpeners, but none of them should be.

:bigeek: Electric......Knife......Death ......Machine...... On...... a...... Custom.....?

vader_NOOOO.jpg

I don't know why electric sharpeners should be discouraged. Faster knife wear just means more sales. Isn't that what our economy needs?

I don't know why electric sharpeners should be discouraged. Faster knife wear just means more sales. Isn't that what our economy needs?

Hmm... We already have disposable razors, maybe the next big thing is disposable knives. Put a thin steel edge in a plastic blade, use it once and toss it. Or maybe a nice custom handle that the plastic blade clips into?

Hmm... We already have disposable razors, maybe the next big thing is disposable knives. Put a thin steel edge in a plastic blade, use it once and toss it. Or maybe a nice custom handle that the plastic blade clips into?
You may be on to something. I went to a barbershop in Vegas before the show and the barber pulled out a razor with disposable blades. I asked them if they knew how to handle real razors.

You may be on to something. I went to a barbershop in Vegas before the show and the barber pulled out a razor with disposable blades. I asked them if they knew how to handle real razors.

How many times did he 'accidentally' nick you? :rofl2:

That's what doctors do.

-AJ

Nurse, petty please.... now we make the incision right below the fat cap and.... oh god.. this ribeye has not be resting long enough, its bleeding all over... suction!

LOL, it's when we cut them and they DON'T bleed that we start to worry....

To the OP, how often are you going to be using the knife if you get one? If you baby it and don't use it super often you could probably get away with getting Dave or another pro to sharpen it occasionally. What sort of knife are you thinking of buying?

I would like to say that if you get a custom with the right steel and the right HT, he might just have to sharpen it once a year (if that often) or if not into knives, maybe never need to sharpen it at all :p

1. Straights are illegal because they are not fully disinfectable. Even after putting them in the barbicide, some contaminants remained, so they are simply not allowed. I know a barber who will, if he knows you, will bust out the real razor. They shave better.

2. Electric knife sharpeners--ALL electric knife sharpeners--will not bring out the edge a custom is capable of--run a Victorinox, Shun, and Custom through a chef's choice--they will all have the same cutting edge quality. But the custom is capable of so much more!

3. You won't need to sharpen your knife nearly as much as you think. I mean, Burke's 52100, Rader's W2, Brad Stallsmith CPM steel...you can get by as a home cook sharpening those 1-3 times a year unless you really cook your ass off.

3. You won't need to sharpen your knife nearly as much as you think. I mean, Burke's 52100, Rader's W2, Brad Stallsmith CPM steel...you can get by as a home cook sharpening those 1-3 times a year unless you really cook your ass off.

I reckon the unsharpened edge after a year will still be better than the edge coming out of a chefs choice..........

1. Straights are illegal because they are not fully disinfectable. Even after putting them in the barbicide, some contaminants remained, so they are simply not allowed. I know a barber who will, if he knows you, will bust out the real razor. They shave better.

One of my dreams of luxury is to pay someone else to shave my head. I haven't found a barber shop willing to do anything other than the lowest setting on an electric shear. I figured it was a liability issue. I can't believe Michael Wilbon shaves his own head. I want that perk! :D

-AJ

We don't know what the OP cuts on. All it takes is a few seconds on a ceramic plate and a chef's choice isn't THAT bad esp. considering most people don't even sharpen their knives or take them once a year to the supermarket to some dude on a wheel grinder.

If you cut on plates then maybe, but the thought of it is like fingernails on a chalkboard

According to Bob Kramer-Master Bladesmith, all you need is a whetstone for sharpening and a steel rod for maintaining the blade :thumbsup:

The point I was making was that a custom is a waste if you bottleneck performance by using a machine designed to put an edge on cheap knives. It's like buying a Ferrari to run on 87 octane gas with Discount Tires.

The point I was making was that a custom is a waste if you bottleneck performance by using a machine designed to put an edge on cheap knives. It's like buying a Ferrari to run on 87 octane gas with Discount Tires.

Swish.jpg

That is a fallacy for the most part. Most custom knifemakers use the same textbook HT that everybody else does and similar steel as everyone else. The big difference is aesthetics and the ability to get something made to specs. If you want real performance at a good price, you go with Japanese.

That is a fallacy for the most part. Most custom knifemakers use the same textbook HT that everybody else does and similar steel as everyone else. The big difference is aesthetics and the ability to get something made to specs. If you want real performance at a good price, you go with Japanese.

sure least you know they are not usign a textbook HT

:) all im asking is that you dont paint with too wide a brush and also that you dont stand a race higher then another when it comes to HT no mater how much magic they seem to have

i think in truth a custom knife gives you the option that if you want a Ferrari you can get it btu if you need a dump truck a ferrari is no use (good thing you vcan order a dump truck)

i tel lots of now cooks that they need to find what they liek in a knife before ordering a custom but even then they mnight find thats not jsut "IT" for them (the best thing is tho that a custom made by a good maker holde its resale cost 99% of the time )

Back